Chapter 16: Graduation

Hanji's POV

The loud, booming sounds of the microphone echoed and hurt my eardrums. My hands were folded over the 5 month old baby bump. Finally, I was able to complete my studies at high school without any whiplashes. Though all my classmates whispered words about me and the baby, I ignored them.

Nervously, I searched around the room for a familiar face. Nanaba's face was nowhere to be seen. But I saw Levi, and he brought the trio with him. Turns out, in the 5 month time, most of the kids were adopted. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were the ones not yet adopted. I smiled towards them, seeing Levi struggle with Eren as Eren tried to escape and hug me. I know him too well. 

I chuckled softly, watching the hours tick by. Soon enough, it all ended.

I ran into Levi's arms, smiling brightly. His hands carefully held my baby bump as the little ones were clutching on my legs. "Congrats..." He says in a raspy voice, kissing my lips. "Well, seems like we don't need to send the little one to school- since it already graduated."

Gently, I whacked him with a slight giggle. "It has my name on it, not the baby's. It's not like... we already came up with a name for it-"

"Still yet."

"Shut up, Levi."

"Or you can, four-eyes."

The kids began to boo the both of us- mainly Levi because he was saying words of a bully. They were... quite protective of me. Even when Levi is the main protector of me. But, they were only joking. Hand in hand, Levi and the kids walked out to the food area and began to eat. I greeted Nanaba and Miche, with a little surprise for Nanaba.

By memory, I've forgotten about Miche in our orphanage. But we sealed our lips to prevent Nanaba from getting jealous. It wasn't until Miche saw Levi once more that our sealed lips had to be opened. 

"Oh... Levi?!" Miche shouts out-loud to him, making Nanaba and me jump. "Levi, wow... you didn't... change a bit." His tone sounded disappointed as he gazed down at Levi. "Well... what are you doing here?"

"You know him...?" Nanaba gave me weird looks, but I deflected them. "Miche...?"

He turns around and chuckles softly at me. "Well, seems like we can't keep that secret anymore." He sighed and took a breath while patting on Levi's broad shoulders. "We all grew up in the orphanage together. Hanji was adopted first, then Erwin, than me. I didn't know if Levi got adopted or not. Say, Levi, what are you doing here again?"

Levi looks towards me with a slight smile. "I'm here for my girlfriend's graduation, of course."

Nanaba chuckles a bit more, kissing Miche's cheek. "I swear, all I said to him was that Hanji was pregnant with her boyfriend's kid- and he never asked who the boyfriend was."

Continuously, Miche looked between Levi and I, showing visible confusion. I couldn't blame him- because we were separated at first, but came back. How weird is fate? "No... i-impossible... Levi?! You're having a kid?! No... just... wow..."

We all laughed together about it all. Even my sides began to hurt as I laughed. The little kids didn't understand it, as they kept staring at each other weirdly. But for some reason, they began to laugh with me. They clutched onto my gown and laughed. But of course, all happiness ended when I saw them: my adoptive parents. 

Apparently, they showed up to my graduation. I scowled at them, telling Levi to get some food for the kids. Instead of helping me, Levi shook his head. "No, I'm not leaving your side- not if they're around." His firm hands gripped onto my delicate ones. His eyes were stormy with pride, swirling around. 

I nodded my head, trusting my boyfriend. Once more, he was the protector of all of us.

Mother and Father slowly walked up to me; Mother was in tears while Father stared grimly at everyone. "So... you've graduated with... it in you?" He avoided the word, 'baby,' for some reason. 

I nodded, confident with every word that I spoke. "Yes. And I will continue my studies as a scientist. Once my baby is old enough to be by itself with Levi, I will return to college. But as he suggested, I'll take it slow, for my dream is never leaving me if I keep it up."

Mother leaned in, smiling softly. "I'm glad you're still pursuing your dreams, Hanji... but... may I visit the baby when its born?"

I turned to Levi, seeing what he thought about it. If it was up to me, I wouldn't do it because Father would be there. But if it was just Mother... I would let it slide. I didn't have any guts to say anything to them, so I tried to signal Levi to do it all for me.

He sighed, holding me close. "Give me one reason why you should visit them- other than the fact that you raised her. Because the last time I knew you guys, you lied about her age and trying to get her back. Last time, you tried to get rid of the baby when she clearly wanted it. Why should you see the baby you tried to destroy?"

Mother turned to me, pleading. "Hanji dear, please... you loved us."

"Loved..." I whisper under my breath. "If you loved me... you could've allowed me to take care of the baby." Defensively, I caressed my baby bump, knowing that it's safe with Levi. "I am not some idiotic girl... I know what I'm doing. Keeping this baby... I would do anything to ensure that it's safe."

Silence filled the air as we just stood there. It wasn't until Eren began to pull me away to the food. We walked away, leaving my adoptive parents alone. Levi kissed my cheek to reassure me that what we were doing was for the best. Our baby... this was truly what we wanted. I put aside my adoptive parents' feelings, because they truly didn't understand my feelings. Nor Levi's, nor the kids. 

This was my true home. The orphanage was my true home. Yes, I went into it when I was young... but it was when I met Levi for the first time. If it wasn't for that, I would never have my heart beating this loudly. This... was where I truly belonged.