Chapter 8: A Little Change

Hanji's POV

We began to text each other for the next month. It was... relaxing. Almost like we were always close. Then... there was that small feeling growing inside of me. The feeling that we were actually falling in love with each other. He sent me inspirational pictures almost everyday, and I would try to come and greet the little kids at the orphanage. 

My adoptive parents disagreed with the idea of me being back there, but who cares? I cared about the little kids. Just like Levi, I became their older sister. Even Nanaba was helping entertain the kids from day to day. Then one day... the little kids said something about Levi that... perked my interest.

The brunet boy, which I learned his name was Eren, giggled softly while I sat down with his two friends. Their science homework were out, and I was helping them with some equations there. Science and math were some of my favorite subjects. But of course, they were little, so we always got off-topic.

Levi was working for a bit, promising doughnuts for everyone. But the promise only worked if the kids' homework were complete- which is where I come into. Again, we got off-topic, and this time... we were talking about Levi. That's when Eren revealed something he shouldn't have known.

"Are you and Big Bro Levi close?" He asks as his emerald eyes were large and staring off at me. 

"A little. Why do you ask?"

"I think he's in love with you..." He says with a mischievous smile and he tried to cover it with his hand. "And that's how I got yelled at..."

Armin, the blonde boy, turns his head to Eren with curiosity. "Oh... so it was you that he was yelling at. I couldn't sleep after hearing that. Even some of the workers here had to calm Levi down... what happened, Eren?"

Eren chuckles softly, "Well... I wanted Levi to kiss me goodnight, like he always does. But last night... I heard him saying your name, Hanji. Although... it was very very quiet... and it sounded weird. I knocked on the door, and asked if Hanji was with him. Because... I wanted you to kiss me goodnight too, Big Sis! But when Levi came to the door... he was very mad at me. Kept telling me to leave, but I kept asking for you, Miss Hanji... and that's was when he got really really mad..."

He looks away shamefully, and I did too. I don't know if I should be angry at Levi... or be amused by what happened. "Was this... last night?"

"No." 

"When was this?"

Eren looked up towards the ceiling, humming gently to himself before he came up with an answer. "T-Two weeks ago... I think... but from night to night, I can hear him saying your name like that a few times. Were you talking on the phone with him...?"

I opened my mouth to say no, but I thought of their little innocence and nodded my head. "Yes... I was talking to him on the phone..." I hated lying to those kids, but I had to do what a big sister must do. 

"Ohh... okay... can you stay over for one night, Big Sis? I would really love it please! Oh! And a goodnight kiss as well!"

I chuckled softly, thinking about my adoptive parents' opinion of this orphanage and the possibility of staying with Levi tonight... "I have to ask my parents. But if I could, I would do it. I just need to know from my parents. Hey! Maybe we can get Nanaba to stay as-"

Eren shook his head, "No. I-I don't want to be mean... but I don't like Nanaba..."

"What?!" Armin jumps in his seat, and his blue eyes were wide with surprise. Oh, little kids... "Nanaba is one of the coolest! Why don't you like her?!"

"She gets too close to Levi-Bro!" Eren shouts back, growling just a bit. But he stopped growling, and continued to argue with Armin. Mikasa, on the other hand, was sitting and completing her science homework. "I-I don't want Nanaba to be Levi-Bro's girlfriend!"

"Nanaba doesn't even like Levi..." I say softly, quickly texting Nanaba about the events that was currently happening. "She has her own boyfriend, you know."

The arguing suddenly stopped. Just as I was about to send the text, Eren shook the table with his fists. "A-A boyfriend...?"

I nodded and smiled softly. Quickly, I sent the text and found Nanaba's picture with Miche. I then brightened my phone and showed the picture to the three of them. "There, that's Nanaba and her boyfriend, Miche. They've been together... oh, I don't know... 3 years. They really like each other."

Eren's smile came back to life, "Yay! Levi-Bro can have you!"

Armin smiled as well. "Mhm! But still, I wouldn't mind having Nanaba here. She helps me with reading the books."

"As long as Levi-Bro has Miss Hanji!" Eren grins as Mikasa sighed heavily. By her little expressions, I could tell she was annoyed. It's surprising to see it was the boys arguing over Levi, and she wanted to stay out of the drama. Oh, time to talk to Levi about this. 

*   *   *

"So... Levi..." My tone of voice was nervous; my hands couldn't stop shaking when I was alone with Levi in his room. After hearing that from Eren, I was kinda afraid of what Levi might do when I tell him about it. Would he burst out in anger again... or would he just be embarrassed and apologize? I can't go back on this now. "I have something to ask of you..."

"Ask away."

"Have you been doing things... about me?" Levi remained silent for a few minutes, so I continued my words before that happened. "I-It's just... I heard something from Eren about it... and well... I kinda have mixed feelings about it..."

"He did what?! Great... just great..." Now, he wouldn't show his face to me. I bet a few coins that his pale face was actually pink in color. "Um... what do you expect from me...? I'm almost 19... my birthday's in a few weeks, actually."

I chuckled softly, kissing his cheek. "Well... I didn't expect it until after we were dating... unless you want this to count as dating..."

"Are you okay with it...?"

I nodded my head gently; my hands were in his hands, just holding each other. "Yeah, I'm okay with it... and maybe next time, try to be mute. Apparently the little kids love to eavesdrop and accidentally hear things they shouldn't be hearing."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll handle it..."