Chapter 18: Family

Hanji's POV

Watching little Raven grow from a frail baby into a small toddler, oh, it was beautiful. With 3 years passed, I quickly graduated from my university and was being accepted into this institution. My childhood dream was happening. Even Levi quickly graduated from the police academy, and he's one of the top best officers in the police force. 

Raven often cried for her father, and Levi dragged her along to the police station. I used to drop in, bringing some doughnuts from Danny. It was cute. She would always hold her little stuffed animal in her hand, laying in Levi's chest as she took a nap. Occasionally sneaking a peak through Levi's files. That's when she cried that she wanted to be a police officer. 

Soon enough, Mikasa and Armin got adopted... yet Eren wasn't. Thankfully, unlike me, they were able to still go to school with each other and chat. There was a little love story blooming between Mikasa and Eren... but that's for another time. 

Through Eren, I was able to see what Levi went through without me. The idea of not being adopted hung around and he did get violent to those who teased him about it. So... I made a request to Levi one day- that I wanted to adopt Eren. Officially keep him with us while we raised the orphanage together. 

Nanaba and Miche came over and volunteered to help out as well. Before we knew it, this place became our home. We all became family. I even got pregnant again- and I hoped it was a boy. A little boy being a scientist while his older sister became a police officer with Levi. This orphanage...

People always thought it was a place of broken kids where they have nothing left to lose. But people don't understand why or how they were broken in the first place. I know for a fact that if we all pulled through together, we can make it. No matter how broken we are- we will always have each other. 

When time and families pull us apart, we can still be with each other. Our bonds shall never be broken as our memories will forever live on. 

I'm ranting when I think through all the memories with Levi... I was sitting under the half moon, caressing my 3 month old baby bump. I sighed softly, leaving my eyes closed. It was such... a beautiful night. I remember that we found this little attic that had a staircase up to the rooftop. Nowadays, I love sitting up there when the weather felt perfect. 

"Oi... Hanji..." I looked up to see Levi holding two cups- one was his tea cup, and the other was a mug. He hands me the mug, and when I smelled it, hot chocolate. I drank a small sip of it, feeling it warm inside of me. "Again out here? Should've known."

I chuckled, leaning on his shoulder. "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing."

"Levi..."

"It's nothing, really." I knew him too well to know that he was lying. The way he turned his head away from me, trying to cover his mouth. Signs that he was hiding something. The thing is about him is that... he can hide himself when lying to others, but when it comes to his loved ones... he can't hide it. Not at all. So I poked him, trying to get him to open up. "Hanji, stop it."

"Levi, you know very well that I know that something's not right. What is it?"

He sighs softly, putting his cup on the side. "Fine... you want to know? You really want to know?"

I nodded, "Of course."

"Hanji," he begins, taking my hand, caressing it a bit, "it's just that... I'm happy that we're together. I'm happy that we got Raven, Eren, and this little one that's gonna be born soon. Even though Eren's keeping his last name... and you gave Raven my last name. So... why not make official, Hanji? Why don't you become Hanji Annita Zoe Ackerman?"

I gasped, hearing his little proposal. "Levi..." I uttered softly, but he cuts me off again. 

This time, he pulled out a diamond ring and held it up to me. The moonlight shone through it, creating little stars on the ground. "Hanji, will you marry me?"

I nodded my head, taking it and placing it on my ring finger. "Yes..." I say softly, leaning forward and kissing his lips. "Yes, I'll marry you..."

"Now... we can have a big family. All of us- and we can keep adding on." He says with a smile. "Now, we are a true family..."