Chapter 11: When Night Falls...

Levi's POV

"What's this...?" I asked, peering up from my book. Hanji was carrying a stack of papers in her arms with a smirk on her face. "Hanji..."

"It's a time capsule, of course!" She shouts loudly, giggling mischievously. "Let's make one together! Okay?" The way she was so happy, I would do anything if it meant that I would continue to see that smile on her face. I know I was a child, but whenever I saw that... it made my heart flutter- almost making me fly. "Please, Levi?!"

I smiled gently, nodding my head softly. "Okay, okay, Hanji... let's make it together!"

Once more, she smiled ever so brightly- as bright as the stars in the dark sky without a moon. "Let's start then! First, let's write our dreams of the future!"

"D-Dreams...?"

Hanji nods her head, "Uh huh! Like what we want to be when we grow up! Here," She says, handing me a notecard and a pencil, "write down what you want to be when you grow up."

Staring blankly into the notecard, I struggled come up with any ideas. Honestly, I didn't think about what I wanted to be when I grow up. Whenever it was brought up in class, I always say something random. Even though it was really bad, I said random words. But with Hanji, I had to be honest with her. 

"Something wrong?" 

I perked up to see her scooting herself over to me. It wasn't until she grinned softly at me, pushing her little body against me. "Y-Yeah... I don't know what I want to be when I grow up... sorry..."

"It's alright, Levi."

"Eh?"

Her little caramel eyes sparkled brightly and her smile... I would protect it in any shape or form. "It's alright," she repeats, "because I'm here and I'm gonna help you figure it out."

"What?!"

She giggles softly, looking up to the ceiling with a finger partially on her lips. A soft thinking noise came from her as her thoughts clouded her mind. "Lemme think about your aspects... your best ones... oh!" She quickly snaps her fingers -I remember how loud and crystal clear it was- "You're a really great fighter- maybe one of those professional fighters?!"

Inch by inch, I slowly scooted myself away. My cheeks were red with embarrassment, growing warmer by every second. "T-That doesn't sound like me..."

"Okay... let's set that away... erm... but you really are good at fighting. But you like protecting me- a police officer!"

I opened my mouth to oppose her words, but it clicked in my head. Why should I deny this one? It wasn't too open, so I wouldn't be exactly famous- almost perfect for me. And they do like to help protect people... kinda like me. I like to protect Hanji from all those bullies at school. Instead of saying something bad, I began to write it down.

"Kinda perfect, huh?"

"Something that's good..." I whispered with a smile behind it. 

We continued to add paper after paper into the time capsule. The shoe box soon grew full of all of our wishes for the future, and we waited for night to fall to bury it near our tree-house. Night time was a good time because all the kids would be asleep, and none of the caretakers would bother us. This time, we would be hidden under the new moon and the twinkling stars.

It took a few minutes- almost like an hour- to dig a hole together. As if it was our buried treasure, we gently laid our little time capsule into the cold ground. We pushed the dirt onto it, watching it disappear from our sight. We packed it down with our hands, planting a few iris flowers on the compacted ground to mark our area. We smiled gently and rushed off to the showers to wash off all the dirt. 

I wonder... what happened to that box... that time capsule... are those iris flowers still there?

*   *   *

I jumped when I felt this heavy object next to me. My breathing grew shallow as I carefully turned next to me. That dream of that time capsule... why did I dream of that so suddenly...? That's when I smelled it. Strawberry scented shampoo. Only one girl wore it: Hanji.

I turned and reached out to the object next to me, and I felt a face. "Sorry to wake you..." She whispers softly, holding my hand. I shook my head, realizing I left my lamp on. Hanji was fully dressed, laying on top of the blanket. She looked... tired... weary... weak.

"Hanji..."

"Levi... I... I..."

I kissed her soft lips, holding her close to me. I didn't want her to say another word. I had so many questions... so I began with just one. "Hanji, what are you doing out here? You could've called me..."

She smiled weakly, nuzzling her head in my chest. Her fingers gripped onto my shirt, holding me closer and tighter. "I have my reason... but please, promise me you won't turn me away... promise me."

A soft chuckle escaped my lips as I pulled her close and onto me. "Hanji, when would I ever turn you away...?"

Hanji sighs softly, clinging onto me for dear life as she spoke once more. "Well... Levi... I can't stay at home anymore... not anymore."

"What happened?"

That's when I saw a smile on her face. Although she was exhausted and tired, she managed to smile brightly. "Because... they don't like the fact that... I'm pregnant with your baby..."

Time froze in place for me. That smile remained still, not moving. I wanted to break free of this frozen state, but I couldn't move. I was paralyzed. Paralyzed... because I didn't know I got her pregnant. All this time... I didn't know. Her parents wouldn't let her live with them because of it. A spark was ignited in me, and I felt obligated to take care of my new family. The orphans here were my family for the longest time... but now with Hanji and my unborn child... I couldn't wait...

"Hanji..."

"I have no other place to turn to, Levi. It's a teen pregnancy..."

I chuckled softly, kissing her lips again. "You're always welcome to stay here. I'll try to be a good father, okay...?" I then got up from the bed, pulling her out with me. "First, you need a bath. Although you are exhausted, I think a regular bubble bath works."

She nods, following me into my bathroom. I turned on the water, ensuring it was warm before plugging up the tub. At a certain height, I poured in the bubbles, and watched Hanji get ready. 

Hanji utters a few words before she was left alone in the bathroom. "My suitcase is outside... by the front door... get it for me, please?"

"I will."

On the way down, I thought about my unborn baby inside of her, then I thought about my little flashback. A police officer... if I wanted to protect my new family, then I should be a police officer instead of a doughnut maker. Tomorrow morning, when the kids go to school, I'll go and sign up for the police academy...