Chapter 9: Sleepover

Levi's POV

Eh... for my birthday, Hanji was skipping Christmas with her adoptive parents to sleepover at the orphanage with me and the little ones. It was interesting, really. She had to convince her parents that she would be fine staying over at the orphanage. Even if she was gonna spend the night with me in... my room... 

Night was falling softly, and the kids attempted to stay up all night for Santa Claus. Of course, they passed out not a minute past 10 pm. Hanji began to help me out with the kids and putting it into their beds. She carefully carried Mikasa in her arms, looking back as I carried both Armin and Eren. 

"These three were really determined, huh...?" Hanji jokes softly as she walked up the long stairs. "I remember we used to do that when we were younger. When did you realize that there was no such man?"

I looked away, going towards the boys' room. "Well... I always knew... I pretended just in case. Actually, it was for you, Hanji... anyways, meet me up in my room when you're done putting Mikasa to bed."

She nods softly and walks into the room. I too walked into the boys' room. The two empty beds near the windows were Armin and Eren's. They were lucky. I had the bed near the door, and only wished I could have the one near the windows. Now, every night, they can see the full stars and the moon. Only I wished for that...

Armin was put down in his bed, then Eren. First, I tucked Eren to bed. I chuckled softly, running my fingers through his messy hair. He groans softly in his sleep, curling up. Then, I traveled to Armin, tucking him in with his bear. But then, his ocean-blue eyes were bright and bold. 

"L-Levi..."

"You should be sleeping, unless... he already came here...?"

"Armin..."

He then sits up in his bed, shaking his head a bit. "Or... he doesn't exist..." His eyes were pleading me to tell the truth, "Levi... is he real? I need to know... please, Levi!"

I shushed him quietly, "Don't tell Eren... please... you're smart about this, you know how this is important for Eren. Understand me, Armin? Please?"

Armin then nods his head, smiling slightly. "I see... it's just something for all the other kids...? Miss Hanji was a part of this whole thing as well...?"

"Armin," I say gently, "It's just something everyone knows, okay? Eren believes in him so very much. Just... go along with it until he finds out himself. Please?"

Once more, he nods his head. "Okay, Levi, I won't tell him. Or anyone at all. I understand, Levi." He says ever-so brightly, and I chuckled softly. "Goodnight, Levi... and merry Christmas... and... happy birthday..."

"Not yet... don't tell me that until tomorrow morning." I chuckled softly, exiting the room. It used to always feel too big... but now, it feels so small. Probably because of my age now... either way, my life is getting better now... perhaps because of Hanji.

*   *   *

"Last one is done."

I chuckled softly, seeing her put the final gift under the tree. How confident she was when she collapsed onto the floor and staring at the clock. It took nearly 2 hours to ensure all the presents were wrapped up. So it was a little past midnight.

"Happy birthday, Levi..." She says softly, scuffling herself into my arms. Her head was nuzzling into my neck and holding my hand. "You're what... 19 years old now...?"

"That I am."

"We should... celebrate... shouldn't we...?" A small grin appeared on her face, chuckling a bit as her grip on my hand was getting too tight. "You know... go out and get a cake just before morning comes? We can just share it between us. No one will have to know a thing."

I chuckled softly, kissing her soft neck. "Alright then, fine. Get ready- I'll use Luke's car. Remember him?"

"What?! He's still here?!" She jumps in surprise, but I chuckled. "He's bound to be past 80 years!"

"He's in an retirement home. Don't worry, he gave me his car. That's what I've been using lately."

Hanji nodded her head, groaning as she got up from the ground. "Ahh... anyways, let's celebrate!" 

I chuckled softly, following after her. I never thought I would ever feel this open again after she was gone- no, taken from me. I raged after seeing her... now we were dating each other. It felt... to quick, but it's fine. We did date before, and we knew each other well.

Soon enough, after the little cake, Hanji and I were holding hands as we slept. Tired and exhausted. I had her in my arms, and she snored every-so softly. I had to caress her cheek, feeling it as soft as a baby's skin. Why would I ever give her up...? She was mine... always mine.