Chapter 5: Those Days....

Danny's POV

10 Years Ago...

Rain was pouring down, and everyone wanted to take shelter inside the mall. With all the little kids, I was popular. From time to time, I would give out free doughnuts to anyone I wanted. Mostly to the little ones. And it was odd to see such a couple at a young age. It was curious to see it, since they were like 8. 

A boy with raven hair and gray eyes always held his lover's hand. From time to time, he would lean in and kiss her cheek. The girl was a brunette, always adjusting her glasses. It was odd not just because of their age... but their dynamic. 

It wasn't uncommon to see the boy from time to time. He would always come in, quiet, and buy a chocolate doughnut with rainbow sprinkles. The money he paid with were crumpled and always in a ball. When I would see his face, it would be covered in both old and new scars. Perhaps a black eye every once in a while. 

But that girl was different.

She would always greet me with a hyper smile, and always wanting to help around. Sometimes, she would come in with a heavy textbook. Always occupying a certain corner of the shop. As time passed, I would give her a free doughnut as she was pretty intelligent. Smart and always working ahead.

I would have never guessed those two were a couple.

It was only revealed to me when those two walked into my store holding hands. I nearly gasped when I saw this. A boy covered in scars holding hands with the smartest girl ever. Who am I to judge?

"Who's this lil' lady?" I chuckled softly to the boy, handing them two doughnuts- both chocolate with rainbow sprinkles. But the boy gave the girl his doughnut, leaving him with none as the girl quickly gobbled one down. 

"M-My... g-girlfriend..." He whispers softly as he tried to stare forward at the girl.

"Ah... that's adorable..." I chuckled softly. It was a calm romance between the two. I just never thought of it ending so soon...

*   *   *

"Where's Hanji at?" I asked when I saw the boy alone. There were more cuts and scars on his cheek. A scrapped knee poorly covered by a Band-Aid. On his cheeks were long lines of tears... and I knew it wasn't right. 

"S-She... got adopted..."

I knelt down and put my hands on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Levi... do you know where she'll be living? Perhaps you guys can continue being girlfriend and boyfriend-"

"She's gone... forever..." Levi continues to cry, falling to his knees. "N-No one wants me..."

"I'm sure that there is someone who wants you... don't give up hope, okay?"

Levi shook his head, continuing to cry. "E-Erwin's already getting a family... I've seen them... they came to visit him. No one is gonna come for me... I know that for a fact."

As best as I could, I tried to cheer him up. But the fact that Hanji was adopted and left Levi's life, it haunted him. Day after day, he would run here and seek shelter from the kids who would come to beat him up. He's not a bad kid... he's really not. He was just torn apart from society putting him into this place. But it was implied that he was not part of society anymore. 

*   *   *

"You're a wreck." I grumbled to Levi, seeing him curled up in the corner. A cut on his lower lip and a bruise above his left eyebrow. "Jeez... you already have a criminal record... and you're doing poorly."

"So what?" He growls at me, staring at me menacingly. "Not like I'm leaving the orphanage."

"You're almost 18."

"And?"

"You don't seem like you're gonna leave. Why is that?"

Levi looks away, sighing softly. "There's a kid there... and he's going through the same process as me. Not being adopted and going through a tough time in school. I want to be there for him... unlike all the other people who left me."

I nodded my head softly, looking towards him. "I'll give you a job. You get the reasonable paychecks and you can even bring doughnuts back to the orphanage. Just work for me. You won't get another opportunity than this."

He sighed, growling more. "Fine..."

*   *   *

Hanji's POV

"So... you gave him a job...?" I looked towards Danny with tears being held back. Levi was a mess... after I've left. And I just made it worse. "You never thought... that he would betray your trust or anything?"

Danny shook his head, "He just says those things when he's angry. He'll come back working for me. After all, he was making some doughnuts for those other kids- he's like a big brother to them. That... I think is amazing of him."

"I see..."

Danny chuckles softly, looking down at his hands. "Well, he probably went off to the orphanage to cool down. Do me a favor and check up on him, Hanji. I know its a long shot, but if you can't do it, talk to the little kids over there. They're bound to know how to calm him down from his rage."

"Okay..."

*   *   *

"Hanji... who was that guy...?" Nanaba's voice was shaking when we continued our trek through the mall. Her hands wouldn't stop shaking. "Tell me... please..."

"He used to be my boyfriend... when I lived at the orphanage... and one day, I was adopted... by the Zoe family... and I left him. For what seemed forever, it was only 10 years. I'll tell you everything, Nanaba... back to when I was an orphan there... and how I met Levi."