Chapter Twelve.

Jasper's Point of View.

This can't be happening to me. What the hell do I do now. So many thoughts went across my mind and all I could think of was how screwed I was. How, how could this happen? I knelt down beside Veronika. No one heard the gunshot because the gun had a silencer.

"Veronika!" I gasped at her bleeding bullet wound. Crap. Who the hell was that guy? I took my handkerchief and pressed it hard against the wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Well Hen, I guess I will need you," I said as I called Base on my phone.

"Jasper, are you O.K.? Where the heck are you?!" Charlotte asked, worried.

"I'm in some slum Southern Dystopia, could you please come here, I really need your help with something. If you help me, I may negotiate with Henry for something." I said.

"Jasper, what is it?" she asked, her voice rising.

"Get the car, come here. Dystopian hospitals are useless now. Come with a first aid kit. Could you check out the cameras around the city? I'm not sure if it's around here because this place is a bit of a crime zone. Do it now and HURRY!" I said desperately.

I continued pressing against the wound, controlling the bleeding. Charlotte would have to get the bullet out of her. I looked at Veronika as she stared at me.

"Jasper," she whispered weakly.

"Don't worry Veronika, help is on the way, just shut up and reserve your strength all right?"

Veronika nodded her head slowly. At that moment, I realized the feeling that I had was fear. Fear that I would lose her. She had saved my life twice, and I did not want to let her down. Seeing her suffer made me feel awful. I suspected that it was maybe Arasha who had shot her. He seemed pissed that Veronika did not keep her end of the bargain, but was he that pissed that he'd shoot her and just speed away?

Speaking of which, Veronika had been secretive about everything so far. She had only just opened up when that idiot shot her. We needed to find out how she found out Henry's secret as Kid Danger long before, knew our secret identities here in Dystopia, why she saved my life twice and why she is so desperate to run Team Danger out of town. I started thinking about how metaphorically she had been speaking, on both occasions.

A great evil surrounds this place, and you need to run. You guys just waltzed into this place and assumed we the thieves are the dangerous guys.

No, there was something more to her. She wasn't evil at all. She just had a tragic past that seemed to haunt her. She was kind, helping all these guys out with food when their governments can't even provide.

Yeah, I wonder Grand Chancellor if you know that people are suffering and living in deplorable conditions. Charlotte had said something like that to the Chancellor during our meeting with him. He had seemed on edge when she said that. Why?

See, I plan to turn Dystopia into a crime free place, maybe even get it a better name.

The Chancellor had said. Did he know that he was partially the reason for the top crime rate? What did any of this mean? I hope that Veronika was just an unfortunate soul who got mixed up in all this drama. I didn't want to believe that she was a criminal because I realized that I liked her more.

15 minutes later at Base.

"Put her down over there," Charlotte said as I carried Veronika over to the couch. She had lost consciousness. I began biting my knuckles, in a fit of fear and desperation. I had only known her a little, but I couldn't bear the thought of losing her. This was driving me crazy.