Chapter 19 - Opening Up

Beca wiped her nose and started to talk about Monday.

"Chlo and I were in the coffee shop, she went to go to the toilet and after she walked away, Miss Posen came up behind me and said 'I can't get rid of her that easily' and that she was going to make sure everyone sees my anger and to quote ' lose everyone, even your precious girlfriend'. I said why can't she just leave me the fuck alone and then she said she was going to expose the real me and she started to talk about my dad, and I got angry and started to cry. How can a teacher get away with that inside school or not, how can she do that?"

She put her need to her head and sobbed loudly.

Mr. Harris was shocked to say the least. This was the first time Beca was opening-up.

*RIIIING*

There went the first period bell.

"Rita" he shouted.

She walked in and saw Beca crying.

"Yes, sir?"

"Cancel all appointments today, and apologize"

"What do you want me to say?"

"Just that something more important has come up here and I need to be here. Can you bring in a box of tissues, and Beca?"

She looked at him, her eyes were so blood-shot, and her face was red.

"Would you like a drink?" He said softly. This was the first time he'd felt sorry for the girl. He couldn't blame her for lashing out the way he did. How can a member of his faculty be like this to a student?

"A coffee if that's ok?"

"Tell Rita how you'd like it, I'll be back in a couple of minutes. Rita, can you put it in a outside cup? I'm going to take her for a walk"

"Of course, John."

"Just black, please" Beca said quietly.

A couple of minutes had passed, and Mr. Harris had just walked back in.

"Come on Beca, we're going to go for a walk, bring your coffee with you, and I know you're only 15, but I know a few students your age do this, I'm not silly, but you don't smoke do you? I know I'm on duty, but I need one"

She nodded her head.

"Get them and let's go for a cigarette and talk? But two things I won't tell if you don't and you have to talk to me"

She was not expecting ever, to have a cigarette with her principal. She stood up.

"Does that mean you're going to talk?"

She nodded and wiped her nose.

"Ok"

They went to the teacher's smoking area which is a secluded area at the back of the school and lit up their smokes and Beca started to relax into her cigarette"

"Where do you want me to start?"

"The beginning preferably"

"Ok, it was 2 years ago, I had just started NY High, my mum and Dad were going through a rough patch, he cheated on her. I knew who he cheated on her with and I've never had the guts to tell her who it was. I confronted this person who turned out to be-

"Aubrey?"

She nodded.

"I got angry at her, because how else is a 13-year-old supposed to react when your teacher is having an affair. I confronted her, got angry and they eventually broke up because I threatened, I'd tell mum if he didn't, so they broke it off. My dad never told my mum and to this day, she doesn't know, he never had the guts to tell her he was sleeping with another teacher. Mum just thinks they were becoming more and more distant from each other and it got messy and, in the end, she asked for a divorce. After a couple more months my Dad and Aubrey got back together and even when they had split up, she was making my life a living nightmare, whenever I went to see my Dad, she would be there and one night they had a massive argument, he stormed out and drove off and she followed –"