Chapter 27 - The Truth

All the girls were in there next lesson. Jordan was in school talking to Mr. Harris about the next steps with Aubrey.

"So, what's the next step, here, John?"

"Well, I'm going to talk to Aubrey, but I am going to have to suspend her. But then I will have to allow her back, with a warning, of course. In the footage you can hear what's going on between them. She had no right handling your daughter, so I will be having a word. But I never asked, how are you?"

"I could be better. I know you know what happened. Beca told me that you and her were talking. I'm working hard to hunt down the CCTV from the accident, I only found out last night so I'm not expecting any miracles straight away, but it'd be nice to know the truth you know. I know Beca has problems, but I know my daughter, she's not a liar, she's troubled as you say, but I'd never pin her as a liar. She tells me everything, eventually, but most of the time when I know she's got a problem, she says nothing, but then eventually tells me"

"I know, and I'm sorry if it ever came across that I thought she was lying, I've been in this job for years, so when a student makes an accusation about a teacher, part of you just knows it's being they have a grudge. But with Beca it's different. She's been fine here, well as fine as fine can be. Yes, she gets into a spot of trouble, however, it does get sorted, you know? But that first day when Aubrey was here, I'd never seen Beca like that. She was so angry"

"Yes, I agree, I just feel like she's going downhill, a bit. She'd changed before all this happened. I know it's not your fault, you had no idea, hell, I had no idea of some of the stuff, but now I know, hopefully we can find something out about her and why she's here? How's it with her friends?"

"I completely understand, Jordan, and the school and I will help. I've had emails back and forth from a few teachers, they're worried. Her friends are fine, I've had issues with Stacie and Patricia, not many with Chloe and Emily hasn't long been here, but from what I've heard, she's a model student. Neither Stacie nor Patricia had an easy upbringing, so, we've had a fair share of meetings. You should've seen them in Freshman year, they were even worse, I had to suspend Stacie a couple of times, any other school and they'd have expelled her, but as you know and everyone here, I refuse to give up on a student. I'll tell you why one day. But they have calmed down. More so since Beca's arrived. So that's a good thing in itself"

"That's good to know. I know Beca loves them, and her girlfriend, so I just wanted to check. I have met Emily, just not as much as the rest of them. It's nice to see that Beca has friends, so thank you John, I know I say it a lot, but seriously, thank you. It's because of you and this school that she's at least happy and has started to open up more. I know it doesn't seem like she's happy at the moment, but once this is all sorted it'll be fine, I just know it. You need to tell me more about that, one day as you say"

"Well, I'm glad we're doing something right with her. I don't know I just feel like we're failing her at the moment, one minute she's fine and the next she's angry, taking it out on us and we don't know what to do, if you get what I mean? I think that she thinks we don't care. But we do. I care, and I care about you"

"I know, and I'm grateful, very grateful, you've done so much in the time she's been here. And I care about you too, John. How about over the weekend, if you're not busy, we get away? Just me and you? Even if it's just one night? I think we'll need it after this week, don't you think?"

"That sounds lovely Jordan, what about Beca?"

"Oh, she'll be fine, she'll have the girls round all weekend. Do you know what they were doing when I got back last night? In the hot tub drinking and smoking"

"From what you've told me of Beca, and what I've seen, why doesn't that surprise me?"

"Tell me about it. I can't believe it, I'll tell you what, when I was her age, and did what she did now, I got a right slapping. But Beca knows what I got up to, and used to get up to, so I can't judge. I bet a lot of people think I don't care, but I do, she is a smart kid, but I can't judge and tell her off, yes, she's only 15, but she's a smart one. She gets my rebellious side, and her Father's brains. John, I've been thinking about it for a few weeks, but how would you feel if I told Beca the truth, you know, about us?"