Chapter 23 - Confront, Head On

Beca was on her way to school with her Mum. She had a meeting with Mr. Harris and her Mum had been asked to come in too. They were to discuss Beca's results about the essay she had written last week. Jordan had parked the car and they were both making their way to Mr. Harris' office.

*Knock knock*

"Jordan, Beca, good morning, before we get started can I offer you both a drink?"

"Coffee? Tea?"

"Two coffees, both black please, sir"

"I'll be right back, just sit down and then we'll talk"

"Right, here we go, I know it's early, I am sorry about having an early meeting, but I wanted to talk to you as I know you have English first. So, I'm going to put it out there, Beca, after your outburst last week, I did look over your essay. With all the work you have done with me, I was shocked you received a C, there were a couple of little spelling mistakes, but my opinion was that you deserved a high B, and if you work a little harder with me, the next essay you do in exam conditions, you'd easily get an A. Onto the next thing, I have spoken to Miss Posen about the grade, and she is no longer allowed to teach you anymore, so from now on you are to report to me when you have English and we will be preparing you. I know you have a year, and we are short staffed in the English department, so until another position is filled, you are reporting to me. When I have meetings you will need to go to the library, but when I have no meetings, you can sit on the sofa, so if you need any help, just shout either myself or Rita and we'll help you. How does that sound?"

"Before Beca speaks, can I just say thank you, thank you for looking into this, thank you for not expelling her, I know you could've done, because her last school gave up with her, but seriously thank you"

"It's no problem, I like to make sure all my students are safe, and looking at Beca's file, yes she had problems, being suspended and I know through her files and seeing her, she does have a problem with her anger, but we have a strict rule on never giving up on a student. It's taken a few weeks, but we can see some sort of progress with Beca. I'm not saying it'll go away just like that, but we would like to help. So, with that, Beca, I know you don't turn up to Spanish, so rather than Spanish, could you go and talk with the school counsellor?"

"Whoa what? A counsellor? No way, I don't need someone to talk to, I'll be fine"

"Beca, you're not fine, please I help my side of the deal up, yours was to talk, so please, can you talk to the counsellor"

"Maybe, talking to someone could help you Beca, you never talk to me and I'm your mother, I don't know what goes on in your head, please listen to what John, sorry Mr. Harris is saying, please consider it"

"I don't need to talk to anyone"

"Babe, you do, you have so much going on in your head, please. At least just go for one or two and if you don't like it, you don't have to go. Can you just give it a try?"

"One session, and you have a deal?"

"Fine"

"So I have your timetable up on my screen, Beca. You have Spanish for 2 hours tomorrow, can you report to the Health and Welfare office and ask for Mr. Byrne?"

"Fine, but I'm not happy about this"

"Don't you have something else to say to Mr. Harris?"

"Oh, erm, thank you for all the English help. Like really, thank you, my old school never believed me until it was too late, so thank you"

"Right, go on then, and I'll see you when you have English. I want to talk to your Mum"

"Ok, see you later and see you at home, Mum"