Dark Encounters

“Lucy? hello, Lucy are you there?” Tegan’s voice rang through my head. I turned to her quickly to see her poking her head through the door crack, which startled her, “Geez Lucy, I hate it when you do that! You know that I startle easy.” I smiled at her, “Sorry. ” I said as I pushed myself off the floor where I had been sitting painting my fingernails. Tegan pushed the door open the rest of the way. I looked at her expectantly, “What’s going on?” my voice rang with false concern.

She walked over to the window and looked out it, “The new semester starts tomorrow, and I heard the headmaster talking with Evan about a new student whose transferring in. I hope it’s not another one of those bloodsuckers.” Her voice was raspy. I bent over and started to clean-up my mess of cotton balls and nail polishes, “Well, even if he is, I’m sure he won’t spend much time with either of us.” I commented as I threw the cotton balls into the waste bin under my vanity. “How do you know it’s a boy? Did you already talk to the Headmaster?” Tegan’s voice rang with surprise. I stood still with my back to her, I turned to her with a smile, “Oh, I was talking with Evan yesterday and he mentioned it.” I coated my voice with sugar.

She smiled back at me, her brown eyes lighting up, “Well, in that case I hope he’s a cute boy and I know you’ll be wrong about him not wanting to hang out with us.” She ran her hand over her long blond hair, flipping it over shoulder, “I mean I can’t see why he wouldn’t want too. We are two of the best looking girls on campus, well in the human department.” I laughed at her comment. It was true that she was beautiful. She stood at about 5’5, her hair fell to about the middle of her back, and with her body she could probably be a model, and probably would be one if it wasn’t for the headmaster. I would never put myself in the same league of beauty. I was too pale for my own good. My body wasn’t filled out the way it should be at my age. My face was the only possible area people might find a unique beauty. My eyes were almond shaped gifted with lusciously long eyelashes. I had high cheek bones that are always rosy, a small button nose, and a perfect smile. Then of course my long brown hair that framed my doll like face. I was never the beautiful one, I was always the one people thought of as strange, the freak. I used to care but I didn’t anymore. 

“Hello?Lucy?” Tegan’s raspy voice broke through my thoughts again. I looked at her quickly. Her expression looked annoyed, My guess was she had been talking to me the entire time. “Where the heck do you go all the time?” Her tone was frustrated. I smiled at her and gave her a shrug. She rolled her eyes, turning away from me and walking over to her vanity, looking at herself and giving herself a quick fix-up, “It’s no wonder why people think you’re so strange...” She mumbled under her breath. Tegan and I didn’t have a real sibling relationship. No matter our relationship, I knew that we understood each other on a deeper level because we both had lost something important to us. She lost her parents, and I lost my memories. I smiled to myself as I watched her walk away from the mirror and through the door into our bathroom. She was such a normal teen, and I was sixteen going on ninety-three. I laughed to myself and then walked out of our room. I needed to get out of the house today and go into town before the break was over. 

I grabbed the car keys,and my coat on the way out the door. In the driveway sat my beautiful cherry red jeep, lifted up on giant tires. It looked like a beast. I smiled inwardly, maybe that’s why I wanted it. I wanted to release the beast within. I laughed to myself as I jumped behind the wheel of my sleeping giant. The ride into town was about thirty minutes on a back road that snaked through the beautiful wilderness of Oregon. I loved the scenery, it was so green and wet. I loved the way it smelled here after it rained, musky. I pulled into town a little after three. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I decided I’d poke around in the gift and coffee shop that was owned by one of my uncles oldest friends and the man who had brought me to this beautiful place. I parked in between a mini van and a pick-up truck thats license plate read, BigRed, I laughed to myself. This town was full of a bunch of hicks.