Burning Revelations

When I awoke again the sun was shining through my window. I rolled over to see Tegan’s empty bed. I wasn’t sure if everything had been a dream or if I had truly been awake. Lucy. I sat up quickly in my bed and looked around my room nervously. Lucy. I looked around the room again this time I saw the tiny girl standing in my doorway. I blinked but she didn’t go away. I slowly got up out of my bed and moved toward her. “Do you want something from me?” The little girl didn’t move she only stood there quietly swaying in the doorway. I stopped in front of her and knelt down to be on her eye level. “Did you want something from me?” The little girl reached out her hand, beckoning me to follow her. I looked at her hesitantly I couldn’t be awake because I knew the dream child wasn’t real. I might as well follow her, what more could happen. I put my hand in hers and then the child’s grip became tight and forceful. I tried to pull away but couldn’t, “Let go of me!” I tried to pull even harder. she let out a little laugh and then she was gone. I was standing alone in the doorway, yelling at myself. I looked quickly around the room and then down at my hand, and found that the mark on my hand was glowing. 

I examined my hand closely. Who was that girl? And what was happening to me? I needed to get out of this room. I grabbed my uniform and threw it on quickly and raced off. When I reached the exit of the dorm, I found that Anne was the scarlet they had sent to watch over me. I laughed at the irony. I knew there was no way I would get past her. I had to get out, I scanned the horizon, and that was when I remembered that there was a balcony that if I did it right would place me right on the path toward the headmasters house and toward my jeep. I smiled at my own cleverness and then snuck back up stairs toward the balcony. I entered the sitting room which led to the balcony through two french doors. I ran toward the door and swung them open with a pull of their handles. I raced to the edge of the balcony and looked down over the edge. When I looked over I saw the little girl standing on the pathway, smiling up at me. I felt a little bit of curiosity welling up in me to figure out what this strange girl wanted from me. I laughed at myself for what I was about to do. Without another thought I launched myself over the edge of the balcony. I felt the rush of the air as I feel toward the ground. I waited for the pain of hitting solid ground, but when I never felt it I opened my eyes and found that I had landed on my feet like a cat. Crouching, the cool ground pressed under my hands.

I laughed out loud, this was definitely a dream I was going to wake up soon in my bed. I watched as the little girl began to walk away from me down the path and then disappearing. I straighten myself out and then walked casually down the pathway. I began to feel a sharp pain in my hand where the young child had touched me. I looked down at the marking grabbing my hand as I felt the pain begin to spread up my arm like poison. I felt my heart beat begin to race. What had she done to me? The burning became more intense with every beat of my heart. I felt my body slowly begin to crumble to the ground. My whole body began to feel like it was on fire. I heard the laughter of the little girl. She stood only a few inches from me. Through my clenched teeth I spoke to her, “What did you do to me?” Her eyes finally looked into mine, full of life. Her tiny voice echoed in my head, it’s time to wake up Lucy. Another shot of pain scorched through my bones. I wanted to scream but no sound would come out, all I could do was squirm on the ground in pain. The little girl reached out her hand and touched my head, and then everything went black. 

“Tristen?” I watched a boy with emerald eyes run with an incredible speed almost making him invisible to the woman standing under the grove of trees. He bowed slightly and then turned to another woman who was approaching with the violet eyed girl trailing behind. The boy bowed again to the other woman and then he spotted the tiny girl. He stopped and stared at her as she peered around the woman's leg. The woman looked down at her child smiling, the young boy bowed hesitantly to the girl. The little girl fearlessly walked toward him with innocent eyes, and suddenly wrapped her arms around him snuggling her face into his stomach which was where she came to on him. He was shocked by her response, but patted her several times before embracing her in comfort. The two women smiled at each other.