A Small Sacrifice

Three days after my transformation and I was in a hospital bed. I hoped this wasn’t a sign of the way things were going to be for me now. Tegan had rarely left my side after I woke up and I found a strange comfort in her presence that I had never felt before. She seemed different now after the kidnapping. Ruth on the other hand hadn’t been around much since Tegan’s helpful information. I watched doctors come in regularly to check on Tristen who had opened his eyes finally for the first time last night which they said was a really good sign even though he only was a wake for short periods of time it meant that he was coming around and that the medicine they had been giving him to fight the poisons in his blood was working. Anne had come to visit him this morning during which I pretended to be asleep because I didn’t want to disturb her time with Tristen and also because I was afraid she might be holding a grudge against me for beating her up. 

Her visit had been brief but enlightening. I was able to listen to the way she spoke to him, even though he was asleep. Her voice etched in concern and saddness. It had brought me to the realization that although I didn’t want anyone with Tristen besides me, if he had to be with anyone else, she was a good alternative. She truly cared for him as much as me and although Tristen had told me that he wasn’t in love with Anne it was obvious to me that she was in love with him. I wanted to hate her for loving him but how could I? I understood better then anyone why someone would fall in love with him. He might be arrogant, pushy, closed up but he was also charming, compassionate, and committed to the people he loved. I knew in my heart that I would apologize to Tristen when he was well again, I would tell him that he should be with Anne because he was right. I was a human or well mostly human and I couldn’t be everything he needed me to be but I could push aside my feelings and be the best friend he ever had no matter how much it killed me. 

During lunch time I finally convinced Tegan to leave and get some food in the cafeteria. It felt good to finally be alone which didn’t last long because Anne decided to comeback when she knew that no one would be around to bad this time I didn’t get a chance to pretend I was asleep. She opened the door looking around the room her eyes locking on mine, “Oh your awake...” she sounded disappointed I felt the same way, “Yeah, but you can come in if you want and visit with Tristen. I’m sure he’d really like that...” I gave her a smile. She looked from me to Tristen’s sleeping form his chest moving with his deep sleeping breaths. Anne hesitated a moment and then closed the door behind her. I watched her approach his bed shyly, “I don’t think you have to worry about him waking up he normally sleeps in twelve hour incirments...” I said to her which made her jump. She gave me a looked then focused all her attention on the purpose for her visit. 

Her hand stretched out in front of her and she gently ran it over his hair my chest tightening at the fact that another girl was touching him. I made myself look away to keep from going mad with jealousy. Her whispers carried to my side of the room and at that moment I was glad for my sensitive hearing. “You’re an idiot. What were you thinking barging into a house that had clearly been invaded by demons? You could have been killed...” Her voice whispered in a tone of annoyance, which I understood because I had felt the same way about what he had done. “I don’t know what has come over you lately. It’s like your life doesn’t matter anymore, not since you met her. I hate what she’s done to you...” She sounded upset now as she continued her conversation with Tristen, “I hate the way you look at her. I hate the way you fall all over yourself to please her. I hate that you spend more time with her then you do with me, but what I hate the most is that you love her and not me...” The cold sting of a rejected heart I knew that all to well. She hadn’t known that he had told me he was only ever going to my friend and that was because of her. 

She might be right that he didn’t love her in the same way he loved me but her loved her in his own special way. I couldn’t help but look at her now a tear fell down her cheek which she quickly wiped away. I cleared my throat to get her attention and it worked she looked to me with red rimmed eyes. I knew in my heart what I had to do, “Your wrong...” I said softly. Her eyes squinted into a confused glare, “About what?” I pushed myself up so that I was sitting up against my pillow no longer lounging, “He does love you...” I looked away from her pushing back the lump rising in my throat, “The day you found us in the hall he told me that he was going to stay with you...” I looked back at her inside hating every inch of her beautiful stupor. Anne looked away from me quickly to Tristen, “He said that?” her voice was shocked as shocked as I had been.