Fighting Fate

I walked to class on edge. I had a bandage wrapped around my hand to cover up the strange mark that had appeared on my hand last night. I didn’t get much sleep after that because I was afraid I might wake up as a toad or something. I pushed my hair back from my face looking around at the people talking and laughing none of them paying any attention to me except for the scarlets. They seemed to all be watching me with strange expressions. I noticed Tristen standing with the Strawberry blonde from yesterday they were talking and smiling at one another. Making goo goo eyes as Tegan had called it yesterday, at one another. I felt a pang of jealousy spring up in my chest. Tristens eyes met mine and I looked away quickly hurrying my pace. I heard his voice in the crowd behind me. I tried to walk as fast as I could without running but I wasn’t fast enough. 

“Where are you off to in such a hurry princess?” his voice echoed in my ear. I pushed my way through the crowd, “I didn’t want to be late...” I didn’t look at him afraid that somehow he might know about the strange feelings he gave me. I felt his hand grab my arm turning me around to face him. I looked up at him in shock. His eyes were dark, “I wanted to ask you something...” I pulled my arm out of his grasp, “Well you could just ask. You don’t have to be so grabby...” I eyed him. He smiled at my remark, “Yeah, I could do that but normally people aren’t trying to run away from me...” I looked away from him to the crowd, annoyed. His chuckle made me look at him again, “Well, what did you want to ask me?” I pulled at the strap of my bag. He got serious, “Is Evan your boyfriend?” I couldn’t help the sudden burst of laughter, “You want to know if Evan is my boyfriend?” he nodded still serious. I couldn’t believe he had chased me down just to ask me such a silly question. I straightened out my face, “No, he’s not my boyfriend. Not that it’s any of your business if he is.” I crossed my arms. He didn’t look to convinced by my answer, “Well, you two looked pretty friendly yesterday...” He raised an eyebrow. I couldn’t believe my ears, “It’s not like that between us Tristen. Now I should be going...” I turned to leave but Tristen caught my arm again, “Then what is it like because I’m sure interested to know...” His eyes were level with mine now. I glared at him yanking my arm free, “It’s not something I can explain and personally I wouldn’t tell you even if I could because frankly I don’t like you at the moment.” I turned away from him stalking off down the hall in a heated passion. The nerve of that guy. 

When I exited my class to find Tristen waiting for me I felt my mood darken at the sight of him. He stared at me as if waiting patiently for me to approach him. I wanted to walk away and leave him waiting but I was still geared up and ready to go from the last meeting we had. I stalked up to him, “I really wish you would leave me alone. Don’t you understand the words I don’t like you?” He looked down at me a smirk playing on his lips, “Well if that was true then you would have left me here...” I looked up at him grimacing he threw his hands up in surrender, “I came over here because I wanted to apologize for earlier. I don’t know what came over me...” I stared at him taking in everything then I looked away into the crowd, “I’d say it’s something called jealousy...” He laughed heartily, “Thats a good one.” I turned back to him my brow furrowed, “Oh I know it must be hard to believe that someone like you could feel such an emotion. This must be the first time in your life that a girl didn’t faint at the sight of you.” I watched his smile fade and his eyes grow dark, “No, what’s hard to believe is that you actually think I would be jealous over you...” I felt a pang to my ego the hurt filling up in my eyes. Tristen let out a sigh dropping his head, “Lucy thats not what I meant...” I cleared my throat pushing the lump down, “You know when I first met you I thought you were different from all your friends but I can see now that you’re all exactly the same...” I glared up at him. His head perked up at my statement. He closed the gap between us leaning in close. I could feel his hot breath on my neck. “You better watch what you say because I don’t appreciate being compared with those people especially by you.” Why was he so mad about me saying that? It was silent for a long moment I heard Tristen breath in deeply letting out a little sigh, “I don’t mean to be so strange. It’s just you really get under my skin. Please forgive me, I don’t want you to be afraid of me...” he pleaded with me. I wasn’t afraid of him, not really but I knew he was dangerous. I looked up at him my heart racing, exploding in my chest with every beat. I stood very still hardly breathing. I couldn’t look away from his eyes.