Reconciling Souls

“Evan?” I said softly once the door was closed. Logan beside me looked a little nervous. I looked around the room and found it was oddly bright. The walls were covered with shelves and shelves of books. An old dusty looking couch sat in the middle of the room facing a pair of french doors. Then there was a dark oak desk covered with papers. That’s where I found a sleeping Evan his arms neatly gathered together under his head like a pillow. He looked so delicate sleeping. I felt a tender smile spread across my lips, “I guess we came during nap time...” Logan looked up at me and shrugged, “I guess we better go then...” he turned ready to leave. I laughed a little, grabbing onto his shoulder, “Not so fast, I came here to talk to Evan and thats what I’m going to do...” I walked toward the desk, pulling Logan along. 

I stood in front of the desk looking down at him, Evan, it’s Lucy. I need you to wake up. Evan’s body began to stir Logan tensed beside me. I looked down at him and smiled, “It’s ok...” His dark eyes looked skeptical. Evan continued to stir in his sleep his eyes fluttering open. He picked his head up looking towards us with sleepy eyes which slowly widened with surprise, “Lucy?” His voice sounded confused. I gave him a smile, “And Logan...” I said which made him look down at Logan who responded with an innocent smile. He stood up slowly, “How did you get in here?” he asked still confused. I let go of Logan pushing some hair behind my ear, “It wasn’t easy. I had to knock out a guard, climb a tree, jump through a window, walk through a room of vampires...” I rambled on. Blushing when I realized they were both staring at me in disbelief. 

Evan quickly made his way around the desk and before I knew it he was wrapping his arms around me. I felt unsure for a moment looking over his shoulder at Logan, who stood staring at the scene with wide eyes. I smiled down at him and let my arms wrap around my brother. Your alive, Evans voice echoed through my mind in a swift wave. I wanted to laugh, I thought you said, you had faith I would make it. He gave me the mental equivalent of a I lied. I chuckled out loud, Well, next time promise to tell the truth if you think I’m dying. He was the one laughing now, Well, lets hope there won’t be a next time. We broke our embrace smiling at each other. It finally felt right knowing that he was my brother. He was the only person who had ever completely understood me. Except for Tristen. The thought of him brought my smiling to an end. 

Evan cleared his throat turning back to Logan, “I guess I should thank you for getting my sister to me safely...”  Logan looked from Evan to me, “Your Evan’s sister?” he sounded shaken. I gave him a nod, “Yeah, we’re twins...” I said taking a step forward proudly. Logan looked at us completely dumbfounded. Evan and I exchanged knowing glances, “I know it surprised me too...” I said softly taking a step forward. Logan wiped his face in a smooth mask looking around the room strutting a little picking up things from the desk looking them over, “So if you guys are twins, then that means you’re a nephilim child too?” He looked up from the paper he held in his hands trying to act calm. I wasn’t to sure what he was talking about but I had an Idea, I nodded. He mouthed the words wow, enunciating every letter. He put the paper back down, “Does this mean you’re going to kill me now?”

“Heavens No! why would you ever think that?!” I said completely speechless. Logan looked up, meeting my gaze, “Well, aren’t you guys supposed to fight evil and slay demons and things like that?” I took a step back I felt Evans hand on my shoulder, “Yes, that’s correct but you’re not evil are you?” Logan shook he head. “You’re not a demon are you?” Logan shook his head again. “Well, then I guess we have no reason to kill you, unless you want us to...” Evan said nonchalantly. Logan eyes widened as he shook his head. Evan took a step forward, “Good. Now, I think you should go back to your room and close that window of yours before someone else climbs in...” Logan smiled up at Evan, and then scurried away towards the door, turning back slightly, “Lucy?” I turned to look at him, “Yes?” I asked softly, smiling at him tenderly. He blushed, “I don’t think it would be so terrible to be kissed by you anymore...” I wanted to laugh. Evan cleared his throat Logan quickly opened the door and left the room. 

Evan and I stood silent for a moment staring at each other. I wasn’t sure what to say. I mean what does one say after something like this? In the past couple of days I had found out that I had a twin brother, that I was some kind of fighting machine, that I had already lived once before. Evans voice broke through my thoughts, “Why didn’t you wait until I came to check on you?” I was confused for a moment about what he was asking me,then I realized he must be asking why I couldn’t wait to see him. I folded my hands together twisting my finger nervously, “I needed answers, that I couldn’t wait for...” Evan made a face that told me he understood. He walked away and took a seat on the old ratty couch. He looked back at me and patted the cushion next to him. I hesitated for a moment and then made my way across the room to the couch sitting down next to him. 

“What do you want to know?” he asked his voice smooth and rich. I looked up at him, “Everything.” He nodded, “Of course you do...” I looked away from him to the french doors, “But I can wait for most of it. What I want to know is, were we twins in my old life...before now?” His eyes widened for a moment, his hand slid up and rubbed the back of his neck. I could sense he was reluctant to answer, “If you don’t want to...” He broke in before I could finish, “yes, we were twins in our past life.” I looked into his eyes, “Is that why you were so sad all the time?” I didn’t give him a chance to speak, “It must have been terrible for you because you could remember everything and I didn’t...I’m so sorry...” I reached out for him with my hand grabbing his hand in mine. I could see the mist in his eyes, “Yes I did remember everything, it was my burden to bear. I should have been there to...” He stopped his jaw tightening. I squeezed his hand, “It’s ok, Evan...” He was shaking his head in frustration, “I should have been there to protect you from that vile woman, it’s my fault...” I watched tears fall down his face. I felt a lump rise in my throat it was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Even when we were younger and we all lived together in the headmasters house. When Tegan used to beat on him, he never cried. I was the one who always wept for him.

I let out a tiny gasp. I understood it now. He had taken those beatings without crying out because he thought he deserved them. All his actions over the years suddenly made sense. I pulled at his hand, but he didn’t budge. I pulled harder, his body wretched forward. I wrapped my arms around him cradling him as he wept. I brushed the hair away from his eyes, such sad eyes. I held him and let him weep for what seemed like forever. Finally, it stopped but neither of us moved. I was the first one to speak, “Evan, my death was not your fault. That was my destiny, and there was nothing you or anyone else could have done to stop it. Never, ever blame yourself for something that is out of your control.” My voice was gentle but it carried a strange sort of authority in it. It was silent between us, Evan pulled himself up out of my arms and looked me directly in my eyes. I stared back with tenderness and forgiveness in my eyes, because I knew thats what he needed from me. To know that he was in some way forgiven for something that had never been his fault. He lowered his head, “How can you want to be anywhere near me? I was a terrible brother. I wasn’t there when you needed me...” I grabbed his face between my hands and raised his face to look in mine, “You’re here now, and thats all that matters to me.”

“So recycling souls, are there a lot of them?” I asked sitting on the couch my legs tucked under me. Evan stood leaning against a bookshelf, “No. We aren’t really recycling, it’s not like were getting another chance to make up for things in the past. We are the first generation of nephilim to exist since the curse. We were born now for a specific purpose...” I nodded taking in the information, biting on my nails. Evan shoved his hands in his pockets and let out a puff of air. I adjusted myself on the couch stretching out my legs, “And what is that purpose?” I asked in a matter-of-fact tone. Evans eyes sparkled as they looked me over, “To fight against the fallen. To keep them under control until the time comes...” I nodded without much thought of what he was saying. He let out a chuckle pushing himself off the wall walking over to the arm of the couch that was closest to him. I watched him approach without really looking at him. I was to lost in all the information. “I think the rest of this can wait for another day. You don’t need to know everything today, we’ve got time.” He smiled down at me, warmth spreading out of him and wrapping me up tight. 

“One more question?” I asked smiling at him. He looked hesitant for a moment then nodded. I let silence stretch between us before I spoke, “Why us Evan? Why were we brought back?” His eyes darkened for a moment, “Because we both died before the curse. We are not held to the laws of the curse...” I looked down at my hand to the fading mark.