Talking Big

I walked into the headmasters personal garden without a care in the world. I normally met Evan in the garden to have our little pow wows. He wasn’t a part of the fallen. He was different then the others. He wasn’t a vampire, he was something completely different, something that they feared and respected. When I came through the gate he stood up from the bench he sat on, a smile on his face. I walked over calmly he wrapped me up in his arms and I snuggled against him. He chuckled, “Your in strange mood today...” he released me from his arms looking down at me. I shrugged innocently, “It’s been a very strange day...” he smiled motioning for me to take a seat next to him on the bench. We both sat down next to each other, surveying the beautiful splendor of the flowers in bloom. 

“What do you know about Tristen Matthews?” I asked turning slowly back to gage Evans expression. He squinted at something in the distance, “Why?” he turned his gaze from the horizon to my face to examine me. I shrugged looking away to a hummingbird that was fluttering around a bird feeder I had hung up for the headmaster. Evan slung his arm around my shoulders pulling me closer to him so that I was leaning against his side, “I wonder when you started keeping secrets from me?” his voice was soft, velvety. I turned stunned to look at him. I took in his appearance his hair hung down past his ear some had fallen across his forehead like silk honey. His features were angelic, soft and delicate. His eyes were deep like the ocean, always pooling with dark sorrow. I relaxed my expression into something significantly more tender. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Evan whenever I looked into his eyes I could see that he suffered, from what I wasn’t sure. I threw my arm across his lap grabbing is free hand in mine lowering my head to his shoulder. He held me tenderly to himself. I didn’t care about Evan in a romantic way and I didn’t think he cared about me that way but when he held me I felt comfort and when I let him hold me I hoped it eased whatever pain plagued him.

“So why are you interested in Tristen Matthews?” His question was well warranted. I knew that if he was going to give me information about the boy then I needed to provide him with a reason for why I wanted it. I blankly ran my thumb across the indentation on Evans hand, “I need to know if I can trust him, or not...Can I?” I didn’t move my head from his shoulder it felt good to lay against him. His fingers ran up and down my arm gently, “It’s hard to say. I have no reason to believe he is up to anything sinister but that doesn’t mean he isn’t dangerous. He’s a vampire...” He squeezed my hand as if to get the point across. I let out a sigh, “How did you know about lunch?” He brushed some hair back away from my face, “Because I can always tell when you need me because you call to me...” I looked to him with confusion, “I call to you?” he smiled down at me gently tapping my temple with his finger. The confusion washed away from my face replaced with understanding. He was telling me that I some how was able to subconsciously contact him telepathically. I opened my mouth to ask him another question but stopped when I heard footsteps approaching. Evan removed his arm from my shoulders and released my hand as he stood up from the bench. I turned to look at the gate as well, Tegan walked through the gate a dark expression on her face. 

She was startled when she saw Evan and I there. Her hand flying to her heart instinctively, her face going pale for a moment. I smiled slightly, she wouldn’t be a very good hunter if she was startled so easily. I looked up at Evan but I couldn’t make out what he was thinking by his expression. Tegan ran her hand over her hair nervously, “What are you two doing out here?” her voice was like liquid sugar. “We were talking...” I said shortly giving her a look. She looked between the two of us. I could see the suspicion in her expression. Evan stood awkwardly silent staring at her and examining her every move. I stood up walking past Evan toward Tegan, “Well we should probably be going. Don’t want anyone getting worried...” I looked back over my shoulder at Evan his eyes flicked to mine with an apologetic look. I turned back to Tegan grabbing her arm as I passed by dragging her behind me.