Misplaced Memories

When I entered our room in the south dormitory I was ready to collapse. I dropped my book bag by the door and walked over and flopped down on my bed. I laid on my back staring up at the blank ceiling listening to the sound of the clock ticking and my heart beating. I released a loud sigh and slowly sat up on the edge of my bed. Tegan walked in looking about ready to slay a dragon which distracted me from my frustration. “What’s the matter with you? besides your obvious dislike for me right now...” I asked her without much emotion. She looked over at me and rolled her eyes but plopped down on her bed. “Oh nothing. It’s just Evan, he walked me from Magnus hall to the dorms. He was waiting outside my last class for me, which was weird. What was worse was the whole time he asked me questions about you like he was worried...” She released an annoyed sigh laying down on her back. I rolled my eyes and then laid back down on my bed. Of course he had been worried because of what had happen today he had to have known. “I mean there’s no reason for him to be worried. Right?” She asked me. I responded with a grunt and then rolled over so that my back was to her. “Right?” Tegans voice lost all it’s girlishness which told me she had been upset by my response. 

“No, there’s no reason for him or anyone else to be worried. I mean there are plenty of weirdo’s around here but I don’t think I would be the first pick...” I tried to make a joke to lighten the mood. I rolled back over and smiled at her which made her buy into my fake reality. She smiled at me and then grabbed a change of clothes and went into the bathroom. I sat up on my bed and stared at the door to our room mindlessly. I had to get out of here or I was going to drive myself into insanity. I grabbed my sweater and then left Tegan. I walked slowly down the empty corridor all of the rooms were empty in the south corridor expect for ours because the other rooms were being redone. I breathed in the smell of wood slowly rotting. I continued to walk mindlessly until I reached the last door on the corridor which led into a private study. I threw my fist against the door in an explosion of my frustration from everything that had happened. I heard a large crack sound and the door fell down before me like I had kicked it in. My heart stopped in mid beat. I moved my focus from the door to my hand, which looked completely fine. I couldn’t have knocked this door off it’s hinges. I didn’t even hit it that hard. I felt my blood start racing through my veins. I could hear the blood pumping in my ears. A tiny voice whispered through the empty study. I looked around the room taking a step through the doorway. The room smelled like forty years of dust and rotting wood. The rooms furniture was covered with white sheets and the entire room was covered in cobwebs. I slowly walked around the room examining the books that filled the shelfs many of which looked to be hundreds of years old. I heard the sound of rustling behind me and turned quickly to see that one of the white sheets had slipped off a mirror on the wall. I let out a big breath and a let my hand cover my heart. I had been sure that demon from the alley had come back for me. 

I walked over to the mirror to fix the sheet laughing a little at myself for being so paranoid. I reached down and grabbed the sheet and then stood up to find myself staring at my reflection in the mirror. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move in the shadows. I turned quickly and saw nothing but a dark corner filled with some old suitcases. I was being paranoid. I turned back to the fix the mirrors covering and saw a little girl standing behind me in the reflection. I released a shocked scream at the sight of child in the reflection. I turned quickly my heart pounding out of my chest but found no one standing there. My eyes darted around the room. I couldn’t think straight anymore. I stumbled backwards towards the door before I could really think my body reacted and before I realized what I was doing I found myself outside running away from the dorm. I looked back over my shoulder and brought myself to a slowing pace. What had just happened back there?What was wrong with me? Was I going crazy?

“Lucy? What are you running around here for?” I recognized the headmasters voice. I turned and found him standing next to Evan on the pathway. I felt myself blushing. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize I was interrupting. ” I spoke a little quickly and breathlessly. Evan smiled at me and then looked away toward the horizon. The headmaster voice broke through my thoughts. I quickly turned my attention to him. “You’re not interrupting. Evan and I were just discussing the new dorm situation but we’re finished now. Is there something you wanted to talk about Lucy?” The headmaster took a couple steps towards me in a graceful manner. He was always in a peaceful state, never worried by anything it seemed. I felt a tear run down my cheek and I slowly wiped it away with my index finger. I felt my legs begin to shake under me. I should have expected this, the shock and adrenaline was wearing off now. I prepared myself. Evan moved quickly to catch my falling body as it slipped out of my control. Evans arms wrapped themselves around my limp form and I felt myself exploding from within. I grabbed onto Evan and shoved my face into his warmth and for some reason wished it was Tristen, which made me even more frustrated. I heard myself faintly through my muffled sob. “They wanted to kill me...” It was the whisper of the girl memories, her little voice ringing out in the darkness. I felt myself slipping slowly into the dark. I looked one last time through the mist to see the headmaster standing behind Evan with his hand placed gently on his shoulder and Evans eyes looking into mine and then the darkness took me. 

“What are you doing under there sweetheart?” A woman’s face appeared in my view, her eyes were dark and tender. “I was hiding, mommy.” I heard my little voice say in a giggle. I watched a smile slide across the women’s beautiful face and then was amazed as she crawled underneath the table to get me. I laughed as she grabbed me and started to tickle me under the kitchen table. We both lay flat under the table laughing together. “what were you hiding from?” She asked me tenderly as she rolled over onto her side so she could look at me. I reached up and grabbed some of her hair that hung down, twirling it around my fingers, watching it wrap around my tiny fingers. “I was hiding from the monster that lives under my bed. He’s scares me.” I watched as her eyes searched mine and then she pulled me into her arms and cradled me tenderly in her warm arms, “Don’t worry Lulu. He is a bad monster but there are good monsters who are protecting you and they won’t let anything bad happen to you.” I feel her kiss on my forehead and the darkness slowly engulfs her face.

My eyes shot open I found myself staring at my ceiling watching the golden lights dance around each other. I must have been dreaming this whole time. I let the golden lights put me back to sleep.