Fighting Ghosts

Tristen took me too Evan’s study to wait for him. As the hours passed I felt a strange unease in my spirit. I wasn’t sure what was going on but something in me was telling me that something was wrong. Tristen lounged on the couch like a lazy cat while I paced the room. His arm was folded over his head blocking his eyes, “Would you stop pacing? It’s making me nervous.” he said softly. I stopped and looked at him, “Sorry, it’s just I have this horrible feeling that something is wrong.” Tristen pulled his arm away from his face letting his eyes search mine, “I’m sure everything is fine Lucy. I’m sure they’re seated in his office drinking tea or something...” I gave him a weak smile but the sinking feeling was still there in my stomach. I turned away from him and walked to the french doors. I knew something was wrong call it intuition or whatever you want but I knew something was wrong. 

Suddenly the feeling got stronger as I thought about what had happened between me and Seth. A strange thought came into my mind, had it been a diversion? My breath caught in my chest. My hand flew to my neck where he had bitten me. I turned quickly to Tristen, “Where’s Seth?” I asked frantically. Tristen looked to me with a little bit of confusion, “Excuse me?” I raced forward a couple steps, “I need to know if Seth is here.” He looked at me with a stunned surprise as he peeled himself up off the couch making his way for me. The sinking feeling was getting worse like I was sinking into a black hole never to return again. Tristen reached out for me but I pulled back, “Tristen, this is important. I need to know if Seth is here.” He looked hurt but nodded. He kept his eyes on me as he lifted his fingers to his lips and let out a high-pitched whistle. 

The door to the study barged open Ruth stood in the door way with narrowed eyes looking between Tristen and I. He spoke to her in a language I didn’t understand but I could tell by the look on her face that she was shocked by whatever he said. Her eyes flickered to me and then she bowed slightly closing the door behind her. Tristen looked back at me his face was serious, “What is this all about Lucy? he sounded more adult then he had ever before. I looked up at him, “I have a terrible feeling and I want it proven wrong...” He stared long and hard at me with an unyielding expression of frustration. The door to the study swung open breaking the tense moment. Ruth stood in the doorway with strange expression, “He’s not here...” Tristen eyes flicker back to me, “Are you satisfied?” I closed my eyes. I was falling, quick and fast, I had been right. Oh Lord, please let him be okay. Please, Lord, please. I pleaded in my thoughts. “We have to go to the Headmasters house. I fear something terrible has happened...” I opened my eyes to Tristen’s hard lined expression.  

Ruth took a couple steps into the study, “What does this have to do with Seth?” She asked me faintly. I broke my gaze from Tristen to Ruth, “I misunderstood the reasoning for why he did what he did. I thought he just desired me but it was more then that. He knew what would happen after--Oh God, he planned this...” Ruth closed her eyes as if she too now understood what had happened and how they had been played. Tristen stood silent his jaw tense. I turned my gaze to him, “I have to go. I need to make sure they’re okay...” He didn’t speak to me his eyes downcast. I waited a moment then made my move for the door Ruth followed behind me as I passed her. She came quickly by my side, “I will come with you. You are still too weak to defend yourself...” I gave her a brief smile. 

I closed the door behind us leaving Tristen standing in the study alone. Ruth was confidently beside me I however was not sure exactly what I was doing or what was going to happen next. The room was still filled with vampires but none seemed to care about what was happening. Ruth and I exited the dorm through the front door the cool night air washing over us. I stood still on the porch of the dorm, “I’m not sure what is going to happen...” Ruth put her hand softly on my arm, “Don’t worry. I’m going to be right there with you.”