Three // Smart Kid's Brother

Benjamin Jones

We had just finished a particularly brutal practice, all of us knowing we'd be sore tomorrow. I walked towards the locker room with Cal and Josh, both complaining.

"God it's like a thousand degrees. Is it legal for coach to make us run so much in this heat?" Josh groaned.

"Maybe that's just your excuse for being at the back of the pack when we did laps." Cal smirked, nudging Josh. Josh groaned and shoved Cal back, making both of us laugh.

"Jones, come here a second." coach called towards me as we entered the locker room. I nodded to Cal and Josh as they headed to their lockers and I made my way towards coach's office.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Did Mrs. Newsome talk to you today?" he asked. I nodded.

"Uh, yeah, she did. Why?" I asked.

"I want to make sure you're getting help for that class. She said she knows a student who can help you."

"Yeah, about that. Can't I just ask John? Or even Will for help? They've both done fine in that class." I responded. Coach gave me a stern look.

"No, Jones. You need actual help, not just your teammates. You know if you don't get your grade up I'll have to bench you."

"But coach-"

"No ifs, ands or buts! You have to do this, Jones. Otherwise you're on the bench. Got it?" he said. I sighed.

"Yes." he nodded.

"Good. Now get to the shower." I nodded and jogged off the field and into the locker room.

"Yo, what held you up Jones?" Josh asked. I just shook my head.

"Just had to talk to coach about something. It's no big deal." I said, pulling off my jersey and shoulder pads.

"Whatever, dude." Josh responded as he grabbed his towel and headed for the shower. I threw my gear into my bag, taking longer than usual.

As I got out of the shower, I quickly dried off and got dressed.

"Hey, Greene." I called, seeing Henry walk past me towards the door with Jacob.

"Uh, hey?" he replied.

"I'll meet you in the car." Jacob said, to which Henry replied to with a nod.

"You're the smart kid's brother, right?" I asked. Henry raised an eyebrow.

"Do you mean Oliver?" Henry asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, him."

"Uh, yeah, he's my brother. Why?" he asked, suspicious.

"Can you give me his number?" I asked, moderately exasperated.

"I guess. Why do you need it?" Henry questioned as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

"He's supposed to help my with bio. Coach says I need to get my grade up and Mrs. Newsome told me he'd be able to help." I responded.

"Oh, okay. I'll send you his number now." Henry responded, his fingers tapping on his phone. I nodded.

"Cool. Thanks, Greene."

"Yeah, no problem." Henry replied, giving me a skeptical look as I turned back towards my locker and he headed for the door.

As I closed my locker and slung my bag over my shoulder, I felt my phone buzz. I pulled it out of my pocket to see a text from Henry. I opened it, seeing he had sent me Oliver's contact information.

Oliver Greene

Was printed across the screen along with a picture of him that Henry had clearly taken as a joke to set as his contact picture. His slightly curly brown hair was tangled with leaves and twigs and his shirt was covered with mud, but his deep blue eyes were wide and glistening, his lips spread into a wide smile and he was giving a thumbs up to the camera. I felt my mouth quirk up into a smile.

Huh. He's kinda cute.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone's locker slamming shut. I pushed my phone into my pocket and headed out of the locker room and towards my car, forgetting about the flitting thought I'd had about Oliver.