Ten // Do You Play?

Benjamin Jones

When we got to my house, I pulled into the driveway and hopped out of the car. Oliver grabbed his backpack and trailed behind me through the front door.

"My room's a mess, is it cool if we work in the basement?" I asked. Ollie nodded and followed me.

I turned on the lights and headed for the old dining room table where all my school stuff was.

"Whoa." I heard Oliver whisper. I turned around to see him looking at the piano.

"It's my dad's. He used to play a lot when I was younger. He wanted me to learn how to play but I never got a hang of it. And I liked football more." I chuckled. Oliver smiled and nodded, his fingers brushing over the dusty cover protecting the keys. "Do you play?" I asked him. He nodded, still looking down at the piano.

"Yeah. A woman down the street, Mrs. Winnie, taught me when I was growing up. Her daughter moved her into a nursing home about a year ago. I visit her when I can to play for her and some of her friends." he said.

"Wow. That's really cool." I responded, touched by his genuine kindness. He looked up at me, shock present in his eyes.

"Really? I thought you'd think it's lame or weird or whatever." he mumbled. I shook my head and chuckled.

"No, I think it's really nice. My heart isn't made of ice." I joked. He chuckled and continued admiring the piano. "You should play something." I said, not really thinking about it before saying it.

"No, no it's okay. We need to start studying anyway." he said, starting to walk towards the table.

"Aw c'mon, Ollie. Please?" I asked. He looked at me and sighed, putting his backpack down next to the table and sitting down in front of the piano.

"Just don't watch. You're making me nervous." he said. I raised an eyebrow.

"Really?" I asked. He nodded and rolled his eyes.

"Yes, okay! Just turn around. Please." he said. I put my hands up and turned around, my back facing him as he began to play.

The notes were light and airy. They carried throughout the room, making me forget how to breathe. I found myself gravitating towards Oliver, turning around and looking at his back as he played. I slowly walked towards him, watching his hands gracefully glide across the keys. I stood behind him, absorbing the beautiful melodies as he played them and admiring just how peaceful he looked when he played.

When his fingers left the last note, he slowly looked up at me.

"Wow." I whispered. I wasn't sure what else do say. "Can you play something else?" I asked, sliding onto the bench next to him. I felt him stiffen next to me as I sat down.

"Uh, I don't know. Like what?" he nervously asked. I shrugged.

"Anything." I responded. He thought for a second before starting to play something. I immediately started smiling when I heard the notes of Shake It Off drift off the keys. He heard me chuckle and I saw him smile, quickly glancing over at me before looking back down at the keys and continuing to play.

I started to nod my head along to the song, the words starting to form in my mouth. Oliver chuckled as I started to sing, nudging his side as I continued my off-key singing. He looked over at me, laughing and shaking his head. I felt something in my stomach flutter when his eyes quickly met mine before he looked back down at the keys, a soft smile on his face as he continued playing. I felt the smile on my face grow as I continued my singing, hoping to make him laugh again.