Six // Out of Character

Oliver Greene

I put the last of the adoption drive posters up and hurried to the library. Much to my surprise, Ben was waiting for me outside the doors.

"Hey." he said, his lips quirking up into a smirk when he saw me.

"Hi. Sorry, I got caught up." I said, unlocking the door and heading to the usual table we worked at.

"No worries." he responded, sitting down and unzipping his backpack. I pulled out the worksheet I'd made the night before. "Damn, dude. When do you have time to make this stuff?" Ben asked as he took the paper.

"It doesn't take too long. It's what I do for the people I tutor who are more, uh, challenging." I replied, trying not to offend him. Ben laughed.

"Is that your roundabout way of saying I'm nearing hopeless?" he asked, still laughing. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"No! You just need a little extra help with the basics." I responded. Ben just laughed.

"It's fine, I get it. I can admit when I'm bad at something." he said, still grinning.

Ben was quiet for a while, working on the worksheets I'd given him before a frustrated groan made me look over at him.

"There's just so many things to memorize. And the test is so soon, I'm never going to get it all in time." he groaned.

"Yes, you will. It'll take some time, but you'll get it. And if you want extra practice we could meet up over the weekend." I reassured him.

"Yeah, it's probably best. I have a game tomorrow night and then family stuff Sunday. Does Saturday work?" he asked. I thought for a second.

"I'm helping a friend with an adoption drive at the shelter. And my brother needs the car all day." I responded, frowning.

"The shelter on Birch?" Ben asked.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"I'll just pick you up. I wouldn't mind seeing the dogs either." he said, grinning. I felt my heart flutter in my chest and my lips quirked up into a smile.

"Um, yeah okay. That'll work." Ben nodded as he glanced at the clock, seeing it was getting late and started putting away his stuff.

"What time does it start?" he asked.

"11. But you don't have to come until 1:30. It should be over by then." I said, putting my notebook away.

"Cool. I'll be there at 11 then." he responded, zipping his backpack.

"What? Why?" I asked. He shrugged.

"I told you, I wouldn't mind hanging out with the animals. Sounds kinda fun." he responded. A small smile grew on my face.

"Oh, yeah sure. Sounds good." I replied, standing up and putting my backpack on. We started walking to the door, side by side. Ben waited for me to lock the door.

"See you Saturday." he said with a grin. I nodded.

"Yeah. Oh, and good luck at the game tomorrow." I said.

"Thanks, Ollie. But I don't need it." he responded, smirking. I rolled my eyes and waved as he headed towards his locker and I headed towards the parking lot.

Luckily, I made it to the shelter just in time. I greeted Shirley, grabbed my apron and made my way to the cat section.

"Oliver! Hey!" Esther greeted as I entered.

"Hey, Esther. Shirley asked me to help you with any and all adoption drive needs." I said. She nodded, picking up a clipboard.

"Could you take these flyers and put them on the crates of these dogs?" she asked, handing me a stack on flyers, tape and a list of names. I nodded.

"Sounds good."

"Thanks!" she said, looking back down at the clipboard as I headed towards the dogs.

I greeted each dog as I checked the names and put the Meet Me at the Adoption Drive! flyers on the designated crates.

I still can't believe Ben is coming. Seems kind of out of character for the star football player to be seen at an animal shelter adoption drive. I thought he'd be at the same training Henry has, but I guess not.

I taped a flyer to the last crate, double checked the names and crates and then went back to find Esther.

"Anything else I can help with?" I asked her as I set down the left over flyers. She checked her clipboard.

"Can you go in the storage room and double check the number of fences and crates? I want to make sure I have enough for all the animals." I nodded.

"Will do." I responded. I entered the storage room, sifting through the cluttered room to pull out the fences and crates we had. I counted and recounted the number before going to tell Esther. She thanked me just as Shirley came out of the office and told us we were free to leave.

"Are you sure you can give me a ride on Saturday?" I asked Esther as we walked to our cars.

"Yeah, it's no problem! I'll be there at 10:30."

"Great. Thanks again!" I said, waving to her as I unlocked my car and got in. I drove home, feeling lighter than usual.