Eight // Sign Boy

Oliver Greene

It was Saturday morning and I'd woken up late. I heard a honk from the driveway and ran out to Esther's car, my backpack slung on my shoulder.

"Hey, thanks for the ride!" I said, sliding into the passenger seat.

"No problem! Thanks for your help." she replied, putting the car in drive. "Why do you have your backpack?" she asked me.

"Oh, I'm tutoring someone afterwards. He's actually coming to the adoption drive. He said he wants to help." I replied, feeling my face heat up slightly. Esther raised an eyebrow.

"Are you guys friends?" she asked. I shrugged.

"Not really. I was surprised when he said he wanted to help, but apparently he really likes dogs." I replied. Esther hummed in response and we drove the rest of the way in silence, the radio quietly playing in the background.

After Esther parked, we both got out of the car and headed over to the tent Shirley was finishing setting up.

"Oh, finally! Esther, can you help me with this last stake for the tent? And Oliver, can you go inside and start grabbing the pens and crates?" Shirley asked. Esther nodded and headed over to help Shirley. I went inside, picking up as many of the folded up pens as I could before returning to get the rest of the pens and crates.

I was putting flyers about each dog on the crates while Esther and Shirley started to round up the animals and bring them out. I heard a car pull into the parking lot, but it didn't fully register it until I heard the door shut.

"Nice set up you guys have here." Ben said, strolling into the tent. I quickly glanced up at him.

"Thanks. Could you help me put these flyers up? I'm almost done and Esther needs them put up before the dogs get out here." Ben nodded as I handed him the flyers. "Just put them in the plastic pockets attached to the doors."

"Sure thing." Ben replied with a smirk. I was putting the final flyer up when I heard Esther call my name.

"Oliver! Come grab Burrito and Leila!" she motioned towards the bulldog and the little yorkie that had somehow managed to free themselves from Esther's grip, leashes trailing behind them. I ran over and quickly scooped up the leashes, leading them over to the tent.

"Thanks." she said. "Who's this?" she asked, motioning to Ben.

"I'm Ben, Oliver's friend." Ben said, smiling at her.

"Hi Ben. I'm Esther. Oliver told me you wanted to help?" she asked as she lifted Leila into a pen.

"Yeah. I'm free to do whatever you need." he confirmed with a nod. Esther hummed.

"Cool. Well, we're just getting started so if you wouldn't mind," she paused to grab a sign from behind one of the crates. "Could you just stand by the street and wave this sign around? It usually helps bring in more people." Esther asked, holding the large sign reading ADOPTION DRIVE TODAY! Ben chuckled and reached for the sign.

"Sure thing." he glanced at me for a quick second before heading to the curb, dancing and waving the sign around. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"What was that for?" I asked Esther, still laughing.

"He's hot! I think he'll bring in more people when he's out in front, eh?" she asked, nudging me with her elbow. I laughed and shook my head.

"Esther! Can you come grab Dollie and Jenga?" Shirley called. Esther jogged over time Shirley and took the two dogs, letting Shirley free one of her hands to handle the two larger dogs, Meatball and Harry, who were trying to tug Shirley in two different directions.