Forty-Four // Together-Together

Benjamin Jones

Weeks rolled by, and before we knew it the playoffs were starting this week. Between squeezing in extra workouts, finishing college applications, and tutoring, it was fair to say I was stressed.

I'd also been thinking a lot about Ollie and I. I wanted more than anything to be with him, publicly. I wanted to hold his hand, hug him, and especially kiss him in public. I wanted everyone to know he's mine and I'm his, but we hadn't talked about it.

Ollie started to pick up on my stress, asking me if I was okay every time it was just the two of us, and this particular afternoon was no different.

"Are you okay?" Ollie asked, concern etched on his face as he sensed my shift in mood.

"Just a little stressed is all." I murmured, feeling anxiety bubble in my chest, making me let out a sigh and place my head on the table.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he offered softly. I looked up at him, his blue-green eyes looking down at me with worry written all over his gaze.

"Can I ask you a question?" I suddenly asked, lifting my head off the table, bio worksheets forgotten. He nodded. "Would you want to be out? With me?" I fumbled.

"Like as a couple?" Ollie asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. As a couple." I confirmed. A smile grew on his face and he nodded.

"Of course." he responded, leaning forward and placing his hand over mine.

"Really?" I asked, slightly shocked by his answer. He nodded.

"Yes, absolutely." he replied. I nodded, biting my lip and dropping my gaze from his.

"You don't care what people think?" I softly asked. Ollie shook his head, understanding seeping into his expression.

"Do you?" he gently asked.

"Yeah. A little bit." I admitted, my voice soft. Ollie squeezed my hand in understanding. "I want to tell everyone that we're together. I mean, who wouldn't want to brag about how hot and smart their boyfriend is?" I smirked, Ollie rolling his eyes at me in response. "But I'm just nervous about what people will think." he nodded.

"The team?" he asked.

"Yeah. The team." I said.

"What if you start by telling just one person? Your closest friend on the team. Would that help?" he suggested. I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think it would." I said. "See? It pays off to have a smart boyfriend." I joked. Ollie laughed and shook his head.

"Well, sounds like you're pretty lucky to have me around then." he smirked, making me chuckle. "Finish your worksheet so you won't be late for practice." he instructed, gesturing to the paper in front of me, giving me a soft smile as I looked back down at my paper and he went back to his book.

- - - -

Practice was brutal. Coach was working us extra hard the weeks before playoffs to get us ready. Luckily today was our last hardcore practice with the first game on Friday. Still, we all slowly made our way into the locker room, groaning from exhaustion.

"Fuck, I hate this week." Josh complained as he threw himself onto the bench.

"We all do, dude. Get up, I want to sit too." Cal said, slapping Josh's shoulder. He groaned but moved to make space for him. I grabbed my towel and headed for the showers, laughing at Cal and Josh's dramatics.

When I returned to my locker, Josh was already gone and Cal was drying his hair with his towel. The locker room was nearly empty, void of the usual post-practice banter. I quickly changed, pulling my sweatshirt over my head as Cal closed his locker.

"Wanna walk out together?" he asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, give me a sec." I said, hanging up my towel and shrugging my backpack on. "Let's go." I said.

We walked in relative silence towards the parking lot, Cal taping away on his phone and my nerves going haywire.

"Hey, Cal?" I said to get his attention.

"Yeah?" he replied, pocketing his phone.

"Um, there's kind of something I want to tell you." I started. Cal nodded, letting me know he was listening. "You know Oliver? Greene's brother who's tutoring me?" I said. Cal nodded again. "We're kinda together." I finished, rubbing my hand on the back of my neck to occupy my hands.

"Like together-together?" Cal asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. He's my boyfriend." I finally said.

"I had a feeling." he smirked.

"What?" I whipped my head around to look at him.

"You've been spending an awful lot of time with him." he said, giving me a look. "And you've been different since the first day you two started studying." he added, kindly smiling. "Also you act like a nut when he's around. You don't stop smiling and you get, like, nervous or something, I dunno." Cal shrugged.

"So you don't care?" I asked.

"Why would I? I don't care who you date. I'm just glad you're happy, man." he said, clapping me on the shoulder.

"Thanks, Cal." I said.

"Of course. I'll see you tomorrow." he said, heading for his car.

"See you." I called back, unlocking my car and getting in.

I quickly drove home, eager to text Ollie about telling Cal. I greeted my parents before jogging up the stairs and falling onto my bed, pulling out my phone.

I told Cal

and?

it went well. really well

that's great, Ben!
how do you feel?

a lot better
thank you for helping

of course:)

I set my phone on my chest and let out a sigh, feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest. Telling Cal about Ollie made me feel invincible. I know some people will probably disagree, but fuck them and their closed mindedness. As long as Ollie and I want to be together, it doesn't matter what other people think. He's everything I didn't know I needed, but now that he's in my life, I can't imagine life without him.

At that moment I had an idea. I want to be with Ollie, publicly. And I know just how to do it.