XIV. sonata for violin and piano in a by César Franck

Eddy Chen and Brett Yang play this piece for a friend's wedding dance. They both know that this piece might be the most romantic piece they've ever played together. It makes them wonder what they really feel for each other.

warnings: expletives, fluff

Third Person POV

When Brett and Eddy found out that an old friend from uni wants them to play at their wedding, both just couldn't refuse. They wanted to help Patrick because Patrick proposed that they should share their first dance as newlyweds with a romantic piece. Both liked the idea so they agreed.

The piece that Patrick wanted to dance to was Franck's piano and violin sonata. Both agreed and decided to look up the music sheets for the piece. Eddy, being the romantic he is, loved the fact that Patrick chose this because of the background story of the piece.

César Franck dedicated this piece to Eugene Ysaye for his wedding. Franck wasn't present during the wedding, but the piece was delivered the morning of 28 year old Ysaye's wedding. Ysaye and his sister-in-law rushed to practice the piece and played it on his wedding.

Brett just likes the fact that Patrick chose that piece instead of a famously overplayed waltz.

So, there they were. In Eddy's practice room, the soon-to-be wed couple and the duo who will play the sonata are warming up. Brett and Eddy already practiced the piece. Brett signalled Eddy to start and Eddy did. It wasn't unusual for Eddy to play the piano.

The couple held each other close, their foreheads touching, hands interlocked and their eyes closed. They slowly swayed side to side with the occasional twirl. Eddy smiled at the couple. Brett closed his eyes, listening to the notes that he's playing.

Eddy didn't know what happened or why he did it, but he looked at Brett. Of course, he can't see the older's face but something inside Eddy grew softer. Somewhat brighter and warmer, too. He can't explain it but it continues to blossom from his chest.

Brett felt as if he went deaf. He opened his eyes and looked at his fingers on the fingerboard. He was playing by muscle memory, he doesn't know what he sounds like but he knows he's playing the right notes. He glanced at the couple and felt as though something inside him died a bit.

Maybe it was hope or love, but mostly it was realization. It was bitter but realistic. Brett has never been in love before. At least that's what he remembers from all the years of being single. He necessarily wasn't lonely, Eddy was there every single time.

Eddy. Brett thought, still continuing to play the piece, still not hearing himself play. When Brett thought of Eddy, that part that died inside of him is brought back to life. Resurrected and reincarnated, it feels as though nothing died on the first place.

The first movement of the piece is over and the couple still held each other close. That's when it hit Brett and Eddy.

I'm in love with him.

Both thought as the notes resonate around the room.

- - - - - - - - - -

The partners never really discussed the discovery of their feelings. Both were still scared of what the other might say. So when they practice the piece again, both were nervous. None of the two actually wanted to speak up about the newfound longing.

They knew that ensemble playing requires eye contact and unspoken communication. Brett always wanted to make sure that they were playing the best that they could, especially since it was for their friend's wedding. Eddy knew this, too. He just didn't know how to look at Brett.

Everything about this seems so foreign and yet it was too familiar.

Eddy was watching his fingers run through the keys of the piano carefully. The feeling he had from the first practice was blooming and it grows warmer. He could feel the piece growing more romantic with his sound blending in with Brett's. He has never heard anything more romantic than the sound of a piano and violin together.

Brett could hear himself, now. In all honesty, he think it sounds better. The way everything seems to fall into place. Eddy's playing is perfect with his. Never overpowering one another, both are supporting each other. To Brett, it seems like this is the sweetest piece he's played ever. It's almost sickening how sweet it sounds.

Of course, it's beautiful.

Brett and Eddy's music had always been beautiful. Whether playing alone, together or practicing. The duo didn't dare to look at the other intently. Though, Eddy was the first to look at Brett.

Brett was now facing him, only to find Brett with his eyes closed and his face contorted to an expression Eddy has never seen before. Eddy felt the longing blossom. It was all okay until Brett opened his eyes, only to meet his partner's.

Brett couldn't hear his playing again. It seems like the only thing that's important right now is the way the younger is staring at him. Eddy looks at Brett as if he wants the older to kiss him until his lips are tender. Brett wouldn't hesitate to do so. All the younger needs to do is consent.

So, there they were, the last notes of the first movement ring throughout the room. Brett quickly yet carefully set the violin down their filming desk. Eddy carefully stood up to meet Brett where he was. There was a moment of calm, like the eye of the storm. Both men just couldn't talk.

Eddy was dangerously close to the older. He looks at him with a certain look that Brett has seen before but always ignored. Even if the younger was taller, he could feel small just by the gaze of the older. Brett tiptoes to lean on the taller's ear.

"Can I kiss you?" Brett asked for consent.

"I thought you'd never ask." Was the younger's response as he allows himself to close his eyes.

Brett starts off slowly. Cupping Eddy's cheek and caressing it with his thumb. Eddy leans in a bit more as Brett slowly traced his jaw. Finally, Brett kisses him.

Nothing fast or rough, it was simply innocent and slow. There was no rush and both were taking the time to feel it. Brett pulled Eddy closer to him as if it was possible. Eddy felt himself grow weaker and leaned into Brett for support. Both could feel the others smile against their lips.

- - - - - - - - - -

"You guys played well." Patrick said at the wedding reception where their dance occurred.

"Yeah, it was the most romantic thing I've heard. I'm glad you two played it well." Jenny, the bride said as he smiled at the men.

Both just bowed, not knowing what to say. They knew that there was nothing that love just couldn't make sweeter. They knew it all too well for each other's own sake.