XLII. 6 consolations, s.172, no.3 in d-flat major by Franz Liszt

Brett Yang and Eddy Chen had already broken up, but due to their strong friendship, they remain best friends. Psychology says that when exes are friends after the breakup, it means that they're still in love with each other or never in love at all. Brett might've just found out which one it is when Eddy keeps on looking at him like he wants to be kissed.

warnings: expletives, fluff and a tinge of angst but fluff all throughout.

Brett's POV

People tell us that our relationship with each other is bizarre. It's unusual to be friends, no best friends with your ex boyfriend. We seem to get each other too much. There wasn't anything awkward about it. We did promise each other that we'd stay best friends, regardless of what we were before, what we are now and what we will be in the future.

One of our psychologist friend, Ash told us that when exes are still friends, they're either still in love with each other or they were never in love with each other at all. Eddy calls this bullshit because he claimed that he isn't in love with me anymore. I have to admit, that did hurt a little because I'm still in love with him.

He doesn't know that, of course. He doesn't need to worry more about me. I know that he'll just fret so I wouldn't admit it. I don't want him to think that I'm not strong enough to move on from him. Don't get me wrong, I am, but I really can't let that get in the way of his future happiness. Besides, I'm happy being just a best friend for lovely Eddy Chen.

A bit of context on why we broke up. Eddy just came up to me, kissing me passionately, as if it was the last time he'd kiss me. I knew that the kiss was almost apologetic. Still, I kissed him and held him tight. I have a huge feeling that it might be the last time I might ever get the chance to.

flashback

He pulled away from the kiss and looked at me straight in the eyes.

"Brett, first of all, please let me explain myself. I'm sorry that I have to do this, but I feel like it's the right thing to do..." Eddy started, a mix of emotions being projected by his voice.

"Have to do what?" I asked, confused at the situation.

"I'm breaking up with you..." Eddy whispered sadly. It was so soft that it was almost inaudible but I could still hear the sentence ring on my ears. It was as if he yelled it directly into my ear.

"I mean, I'm not going to tie you down with me. Can I know the reason why, though?" I said calmly after the long and deafening silence. I don't want to guilt trip him. I'll hold my tears back if it means that he won't cry. I don't want to see him sad.

"It's just, last night, I was out... I accidentally kissed a girl and I really loved it. I felt really guilty afterwards because I was with you but I don't really regret the kiss. I don't know what else to say to you besides the truth and my apologies. I'm sorry that this is so sudden but I don't think I could lie to myself." Eddy explained, fiddling with his hands out of nervousness.

"Come here..." I said, pulling him into a hug. "It's okay, Eddy. You don't have to feel guilty. If you think that it's the right thing for us, then it will be fine. We will be fine. You won't be losing me anyway."

I could feel his tears on my neck. I wanted to sob, to wail, to cry out and grieve but I didn't. I have to understand and stay strong for Eddy. I ran my fingers through his hair and held him tight.

"Remember our promise before? We're best friends, no matter what happens." I added. He's still crying and I just comforted him.

That night was filled with Eddy talking about how he felt while I assured him that we will be fine. I know that we will and I will let him go.

end of flashback

We're recording a video wherein we answer yahoo questions. It was a cool idea, especially to promote our new merch. The high-neck practice shirt is an idea by Eddy. He isn't exactly unfamiliar with bold clothing, unlike me. So, wearing this shirt is a bit out of my comfort zone. I don't really mind, though. It was for TwoSet Apparel anyway.

After recording the video, Eddy removed his shirt and wore another one of their merch shirts. I can't help but stare at Eddy. He has been working out recently and he's been living healthily. It also seems like he's trying to impress someone. He might only be doing it for himself, though. I bring my eyes down on the ground and asked Eddy to hand me the varsity jacket merch. I avoid looking too much at him, I might just combust if I do.

Our jackets were lying together in the small leather seat on the corner of the office, so the jacket smelled a lot like him. It reminded me of how Eddy used to let me wear his clothes. It was a good relationship while it lasted. Even he noticed and commented on it.

"You know, you should wear my clothes again, bro. They're getting lonely without you." Eddy said, laughing a bit. I laughed with him and I only responded with a smile.

He sat back down and just looked at me. I could feel my cheeks heat up and I could only wish that I don't get red. I dared myself to look at him. He looked at me as if he was begging to be kissed.

It doesn't help my longing if you look at me like that!

I thought as I caught him staring at my lips for the hundredth time today. I avoid looking, I might be tempted to kiss him until his lip marks imprints on the skin of the younger's lips. I can't kiss Eddy, not when we've mutually broken up months ago. I know that look too well, especially from we were together.

It doesn't take a genius to see how Eddy Chen is simply and effortlessly seductive.

Ah, fuck it.

I thought as grabbed Eddy by the collar if his shirt and pulled him in for a kiss. Fully indulging the sweet taste that's uniquely Eddy's. Frankly, I don't know where this will take us but I hope I made it clear that I'm still in love with him.

I hope he knows that I still want him. I hope he realizes that at least a little part of him still wants me.