movie night

|austin|

     “Please come, Madison. It’s just the guys and we are just watching a few movies. Please,” I plead over the other end of the line. Madison lets out a soft sigh into my ear and even over the phone she sounds beautiful. I still wonder how she does it.

     “Austin, I don’t know…” she says, her voice shaking at the end.

     “Madison, the guys all love you,” I retort to her.

     “They always flirt with me, Austin! All guys ever do is flirt with me since I’m the ‘mystery hot girl’. I know what people say Austin. I know everyone wants to be the first one to get me in bed. I know most guys are pigs who make bets over me.” And here comes the guilt. I keep it inside though, still not wanting to tell Madison about it.

     “Please come… for me,” I add, smiling over the phone. I can imagine her cheeks heating up, and a smirk forming on those beautiful pink lips I still have yet to kiss. 

     “Oh wouldn’t you loveeee that Mahone?” she says, the teasing evident in her tone. It makes me chuckle as I imagine her playing with her fingers in the process. She probably looks adorable.

     “Yeah, I really would.”

     “Not a scary movie!” Madison squeaks from next to me. I can feel her fix her position on the couch because she’s soon closer to me. I can feel her cold skin hitting mine and making me shiver.

      I had to glance over at Madison, admiring her features against the new light. I notice her look up at me, catching my gaze. I try to look away to act as if I wasn’t staring. But we both know I was. I always got so caught up in her beauty. I’d never seen a girl so beautiful in my life. I’m not lying either. Madison just seems to outshine every girl I’ve been with.

     Alex had put in The Exorcism and Madison was not happy. The movie seemed to keep her on edge about halfway through I could tell her uncomfortable attitude towards the movie. She seemed to be more cuddled with herself, scared she’d end up not in one piece by the end of it. She looked cute too, making me smile.

     Madison seems pretty shaken up by the end. I could tell she is just itching to get out, but Alex puts in another scary movie. He puts in Chucky and I could tell Madison wants to just pass out right then and there. She is utterly afraid. I decide to save her from this movie because seeing her this scared got me worried.

     “Come on,” I whisper into Madison’s ear before sliding my hand into hers. I help her out of her seat, before leading her to the kitchen where my mom sat. She is quietly reading the book, Fault in Our Stars. Her glasses fall a bit, slouching on her nose and by her gaze I knew she was too into it to notice Madison and I.

     I get Madison a cup of water, making her sit down at the table across from my mom. It is then my mom looks up to meet the scared gaze of Madison. She even laughs a bit at Madison’s scared expression.

     “Are they making you watch scary movies?” I can hear her whisper to Madison, not thinking I can hear him. By my mom’s laugh I know Madison had probably shook her head yes to my mom. Words most likely are not in her vocabulary right now. She really seems scared.

     “Austin, is this the famous Madison you always talk about?” My mom speaks up, making me almost drop the cup of water. I could feel my palms get sweaty at my fact my mom had said that. Way to go, mom. I slump over in embarrassment. I had to keep my gaze low as I nodded.

     Madison just laughs though, not thinking much of my embarrassing mom. Madison always seems to avoid awkward situations. She just laughs them off as if nothing is wrong.

     I find myself sitting next to Madison while sliding her her cup of water. Madison glances at the cup and then to me with a small smile. I smile back of course, unable to resist. Madison has this effect on me as if no matter what is happening she can make me smile and feel good.

     "You have beautiful eyes, Madison," my mom voices, making Madison look back at her. Madison smiles politely at her whispering a quiet thank you. She seems to get shy when people compliment her. She seems so modest and I like that. Madison doesn't really see how beautiful she is, does she? I wish she did. I wish she was more confident.

     "Well, Madison, I hope you know you are welcome here anytime," my mom says, glancing over at me and winking. My mom could sense how I felt about her. She doesn't have to ask to confirm it, she just knows. My mom understands me like no one else does. But I don’t even understand myself. At one moment, I like her as a friend and then another I get these weird intimate feelings that I don’t think I should get around her.

     "Thank you, Mrs. Mahone."

     "Call me Michele," my mom says. That's when I know she approves, making my lips twitch up into an even bigger smile. When I look over to Madison, I notice she's smiling at my mom too. I can see the happiness in Madison's eyes, and it makes me feel a lot better. When Madison is happy it makes me even happier. Some how seeing her smile makes my day a lot better.

     My mom leaves Madison and me alone in the kitchen. Madison is sipping her water, remaining quiet. She lets the comfortable silence soothe her. She closes her eyes, and I just watch her. Her tongue glides across her bottom lip, and I suddenly feel the urge to kiss her.

     I don't though knowing that was a stupid idea. I have to frown and look away to contain myself. I don't know why I feel this way about Madison because I still barely know even the small details about her.