Chapter 9: Burning in the Wind

"Sweetheart? Where are you?" I asked in the phone as I looked around the center court of the mall.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm on my way! Deku screwed something up on the paperwork and I was stuck in the office. You're in a public place, right?" He checked, nervousness in his voice.

"Yes baby, I'm being safe. Now you focus on being safe and getting to us soon." I smiled as I looked around to make sure no one was watching. "Want to test and see if she recognizes you over the phone?"

"Tch. Sure." I heard him scoff as I put the speaker up against my bump. 

I couldn't help but grin as I heard him speak through the phone.

"Hey there firecracker. Keep an eye on your mom, would you? She's managed to get into enough trouble today I bet. And I bet you helped. What cravings have you given her today anyway? Let's hope she's up for spicy food for dinner. Anyway, bye girlie."

I quickly picked up the phone back to my ear as I felt her move around.

"Great Katsuki, you've got her doing somersaults." I shook my head. 

"That kid..." I could imagine him shaking his head with his short bark of laughter. "Anyway, I'll be there in 5. Go ahead and get us a table or something."

"If I can get my baby girl to calm down now. Geez, I can't imagine what your homecomings will look like when she arrives." I sighed as I felt her continue moving around.

"We'll see about that. Now go ahead. I'll be there soon."

I hung up and began walking to the restaurant when I heard an explosion from the floor up above.

"Crap." I muttered as I saw a few people run out of a store with its alarms blaring. I quickly looked around and decided it was best that I get out of there as soon as possible. 

I checked my phone and groaned as I got the hero notification that these weren't your typical run-of-the-mill thieves. 

They were remnants of the Paranormal Liberation Front. 

I pray Toga isn't there...I internally sighed as I made my way down a nearby alley, keeping to the shadows before I felt relatively safe as I had gotten away from the screaming crowds and the thieves.

You know, besides being in a dark alley 6 months pregnant all alone. 

Relatively safe.

"You got it?"

I held my breath as I ducked next to dumpster, immediately covering up my white hair with my dark hoodie as I listened.

"Duh. I'll take the second wave. First wave move out." 

I felt my heart stop as someone appeared out of nowhere next to me, putting his hand over my mouth.

"Shut up and don't say a word." 

I tensed up as memories of the Kamino incident flooded my mind and I cautiously looked out at my captor as he crouched next to me, looking out at the source of voices at the end of the alley.

Dabi.

Even with most of his face covered, I could still see the reflection of staples against his face.

I can't just run: he'll cremate me. And I could try to make an ice pillar but I don't know how my ice would be able to stand up against his fire. And I can't risk calling attention to us while there's still villains out there—