thirty

- Mew -

"Mew, son, she will be your new mom. She is Phaelin. Greet her."

I knew it. Another ''new mom". 

"Sawasdee krub." 

I forced a smile at her. If I know, she's only after Por's money. She will not even last a month or a week, maybe.

But that's what I thought. She's kind and caring. Opposite of what I totally thought of her. Now, I really feel so guilty of judging her so early, before she can even prove herself. I must say, Por is so lucky that she met her. Maybe if Mom is still alive, she will be as good as her. Or better.

"I have already convinced my son to live here. I am so excited for you two to meet, Mew." She looked at dad who jokingly glared at her. "Of course, and you, too." And we all laughed. The mood here in the house totally changed since she came here. Even dad changed. I wonder how it will be like if her son, my stepbrother, moves in with us. I feel so excited. 

 Days later, he came.

My stepbrother came.

With his big luggage. This is it. I'll be having a new brother now.

"Sawasdee krub."

I greeted at the guy whom I think goes around my age. He's a bit taller than me, I guess. Fair-skinned just like his mom. He actually looks like the twin brother of mom, that's how they look the same.

I smiled at him. Of course, I am excited and I cannot hide it. But he didn't greet me back. Instead, he went straight inside the house, pulling his luggage. 

"New, this is your dad's son, Mew. Funny how you two got almost the same name, right?" Mom followed him. He didn't answer mom. He just kept looking around the house. 

"Whatever." 

I didn't expect he'd talk to his own mother like that. How dare is he?

"Don't you think you're a bit disrespectful of your mother, huh?" I just can't stand it anymore. 

He looked at me from my head to toe, like I'm sort of shit to him. But he's worse than me!

"So, you are the chosen one."

"Huh?"

"How does it feel to steal a mom and make her like she's your own, huh? Is my mom caring and loving? Oh, don't just look at me, answer me. I am here to see how my mother treats someone else's son rather than her own. I bet she treats you better. Am I right, mom?"

Right there, his face meets mom's palm. 

Mom left crying.

"You better behave yourself or else. Go and apologize to your mom. Quick!" dad said with his voice raised. But New seems unbothered. He just sat there with his legs crossed and his arms spread across the back of the sofa.

I didn't know New would be like this. I thought he's like his  mom, soft. But I wonder if I was the one who turned him into that. I hope not. 

It has been months now since we all live under the same roof. New is still the same as the first time he came here. Rude to everyone, though we treat him nice. He is still pushing that thing about stealing his mom. I can't blame him for feeling that way but I just hope he sees how his mom tries to fill in the gaps between them. It is him who keeps pushing her away but has the audacity to say she's not acting like a mom to him.

There has also been incidents when I found my things either missing or ruined. I don't want to accuse New for that but my instinct is telling me so. I just let those things slip smoothly like nothing happened but there is just one thing I will not tolerate anymore. And that is, him  messing up with Gulf.