9)Lovers Lane

"It is impossible for me to forget you at all."

***

"It's not that simple."

Lane's voice stirs Rhea from her peaceful sleep, the sleep she wishes she could fall back into, but the promise of drama wipes away the need for sleep. She doesn't move nor open her eyes, simply laying there listening. "What do you expect me to do? It's not like I can just kill them and leave, they'd have a bounty on my head."

A muffled reply comes through his Cell, one of the slightly older models of smartphones. "You know I can't do that! That is not my field of expertise."

"What the hell is then?" the voice yells back.

"I am not an assassin. I am not a player. I'm not sure why you need me to do this. I don't give a damn if it's easiest for me. I can't do it, Owen."

"Then who the hell can we trust that will actually get it done, Lane? Do you know how much shit this puts us in? We'll be lucky if we can pull off the compromise by the end of the year," the voice demands. It's a male, probably around their mid-thirties.

A hand strokes her hair, and a finger gently traces her cheek. "I know someone who can do it."

"Who? Please, Owen, tell me it isn't another girl. You know they don't get anything done—"

"Her name is Sàvia Lorenzo; she's an assassin and a con artist. If anyone can do this, it's her. I have never seen anyone handle Hierro as she does. I overheard him and Rakel talking, and she scares him. Have you ever heard of Hierro being afraid of anything, let alone anyone?"

Lane's hand continues to stroke her hair, caressing her cheek fondly as he talks to the stranger. They lie in the same position they fell asleep in; her back pressed firmly against his warm chest, his right hand now trailing down her body. He leans down and presses a kiss to Rhea's shoulder, Owen's voice flowing through Lane's phone.

"Never heard of her. I need to meet her," Owen says.

"That's where the problem comes in. He has her locked in the house. When he and Rakel leave, they have me bind her. She can't leave, and they sure as hell wouldn't let me leave with her. They don't trust me."

"But you trust this girl? Lane, seriously think about this."

"She can do it Owen; she's already agreed to help me. This may be our only chance. I've never seen anyone like her, she's searching for El Diamante del Dragón."

"Dammit. Fine, tell her everything and let me know what happens. I want to know—"

"Lane?" she whispers against his bicep.

Owen gasps. "You're sleeping with her, Lane!"

"No! That's not what this is, Owen—"

"You know Owen you have woken me up and I need my beauty sleep. You are now responsible for whatever injuries I will inflict on Lane, his blood is on your hands," she says with mild annoyance, Lane going stiff behind her, his hands stopping on her waist.

"Is that her, Lane? I like her already. Girl, I need to meet you. If Lane's been smitten by you and would recommend you for something like what we are doing, you gotta be one hell of a chic," Owen smiles.

"Aw, he talks about me? How cute. But seriously, I will make sure his body ends up in your bed."

"Sàvia, come on, don't kill me please," Lane asks. "I kinda like myself ali—OW!"