43. A SONG FULL OF LOSS AND DESPAIR

| CHAPTER FORTY-THREE |

A SONG FULL OF LOSS AND DESPAIR.

TIME FOR JOY SEEMED TO be over before it even began, as Remus and Dawn shared the news with the rest of the Order at the Headquarters, a phoenix feather appeared in the middle of the room, delivering news from Minerva McGonagall; Dumbledore was dead. He was killed by Severus Snape (that information was only told to the Order). 

Dawn couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe he was dead and she most certainly couldn't believe that she was right; that someone was out there to kill him, someone right underneath their noses. Someone they thought they could trust.

That had been almost a week prior, now, Dawn sat besides Remus, wearing a jet black, knee length dress with a large black overcoat. She couldn't find anything in black that would fit around her stomach, so Remus (being the sweetheart that he was) charmed her clothes to fit around her growing stomach. He wore a black suit and the couple sat a few chairs down from the rest of the Order in front of the Black Lake. The sky was gloomy, mirroring everyone's moods.

There were more than a hundred of guests; ranging from everyone from the Order, staff (both dead and alive) of Hogwarts, students, Tom; the landlord of the Leaky Cauldron, a hair man that Dawn recognised as the bass player from the band The Weird Sisters (Ginny was a enormous fan of theirs so Dawn knew all of their songs by heart), Ernie Prang; the old driver of the Knight Bus, Madam Malkin; the owner of the robe shop from Diagon Alley as well as many others, some Dawn didn't even recognise.

She could hear the merpeople singing softly from the Black Lake. A song full of loss and despair. She couldn't help but worry, now with Dumbledore gone, how in Merlin's name would they have any chance against Voldemort. Her thoughts were wild but they soon settled down when she felt Remus squeezing her hand ever so gently. He had noticed the distant look in her eyes and it certainly didn't take a genius to realise what she was thinking; everyone was thinking it. 

Hearing movement behind her, Dawn looked over her shoulder. The reality of what was happening hit her when she spotted Hagrid walking slowly in the aisle way. A body wrapped in a purple cape (which she assumed belonged to Dumbledore). She could see the tears streaming softly down his face, getting caught in his bushy beard. 

She felt her own eyes stinging as tears build up in them. She didn't let her eyes stray away from the body, watching as Hagrid placed it every so gently down onto a large, white, stone table. The half-giant then retreated back up the aisle and over to his seat, blowing his nose loudly on a handkerchief and earning a few disgusted looks from very posh-looking witches and wizards. 

Dawn shifted in her seat uncomfortably, the baby had been kicking almost all day and she was at the point of pregnancy that it was starting to feel extremely uncomfortable.

"Are you alright?" Remus questioned, noticing the distressed look on his fiancé's face.

The redhead nodded, "I'll be okay," She whispered, pressing her hand onto her stomach, hoping her touch would calm the baby down.

Remus frowned, he had tried to get Dawn to stay at home since she had been complaining all afternoon about strange pains, but the redhead insisted she was fine, saying the baby was just moving around. She was quick to notice the look of deep thought on Remus' face and she squeezed his hand, "It's going to be okay," She reassured him, "I had to be here."

Remus sighed but nodded understandingly before both of their attention got caught by a short man dressed in a long black robe stood up from a seat right up at the front. Dawn watched him as he made his way to stand behind Dumbledore's covered body. Clearing his throat, the man glanced up at the guests with a devastated look in his eyes as the service finally begun.