Chapter 6

The light in the end of every tunnel was never a ray of hope. You can try and succeed or just fail at the spot. For Saiki, it was neither. He and some other applicants that had managed to run the whole way through the tunnel were now gasping for some air or just waiting for anything to happen.

"Nii-san!" Turning to the familiar voice that belong to one certain bright child, Saiki just made a small wave over to Gon and his new best friend, Killua.

Many were mumbling about what place they were in and why it was was a bit foggy. All thoughts and mumbles were ignored by many, especially Saiki. He knew that it was just the beginning and he did not like it at all. 

"Nii-san, pay attention please" whispered Gon to the almost zoned out Saiki.

Thanking the little one silently, Saiki came back to his senses. Luckily he did or else he would've missed a very dramatic scene, in his case.

"Is this the next phase?" The answer was simple... no.

"The Numere Wetlands, also known as Swindlers Swamp. We must cross these wetlands to reach Phase Two of the exam. Please note that this place is home to bizarre animals, many are very cunning, insatiable creatures who deceive humans and prey on them". Multiple gulps were heard from the crowd.

"Be very careful, if you let them fool you, you're dead" stated Satotz as he calmly looked at the gapping mouths of the applicants before him.

Literally, the examiner just explained what type of creatures that lived deep in the wetlands and what not. It was getting boring again for Saiki but then a shout was heard, making him curious out of boredom. At first, some applicants were saying that the wetlands was nothing but a joke and that they won't be fooled, but Saiki had managed to scan every single bit of details of every single expression. He knows what fear is and what it looked like.

"Don't let them fool you!!" Leorio had repeated himself that the deceiving won't work, but then all eyes were on the man hiding behind the small built, yet large, structure. 

"Don't fall for it" said the unknown man as he showed his full body.

The man was covered in dirt, head to toe, and was in very tattered clothes. Saiki watch as the unknown man gain some confidence as he spoke once more.

"He's lying to you! He's an imposter! He isn't the an examiner.. I'm the real one!" shouted the supposed 'examiner' as he pointed to the unfazed Satotz.

Many were confused as they share glances and look between Satotz and the man. The said 'examiner' then pulled out a weird lanky creature that indeed, looked like Satotz, but furry and having a mouth. Saiki wanted to laugh right there and then, but that wasn't like him to do so. Gon looked at his cousin, expecting him to be dozing off again, but was surprised to see the tall teen paying attention. He then noticed a bit of shake on going on around his cousin, but note that it wasn't fear. Before Gon could ask what is wrong, the sound of a thud was heard.

Looking back at the sound, Gon could see the unknown man lying down with cards impaled into his chest. Saiki was amused by the action that was taken, but he wasn't a fan when the those same cards were thrown his way then to the now dead man before. Luckily, Saiki had caught it and hid them from Gon's eyes. A chuckle had rung in the air and following the it, Saiki had found the source. It was the same clown guy he saw back underground, and according to Gon, his name was Hisoka. 

"I see, that settles it, you're the real one" chuckled Hisoka as he faced Satotz, said examiner was also holding the same cards between his fingers.

A course of curses escaped many applicants that had fell for the trick of the unknown man and luckily, Killua was there to cover sweet little Gon's ears for Saiki. Nodding a silent thank to Killua, Saiki paid attention back at the scene beforehand.

"I will report you for turning on an examiner. And you will be immediately disqualified. Are we clear?" Said Satotz as he made the cards slip from is fingers and onto the mossy grass.

With a creepy small smile of his own, Hisoka just shrugged his shoulders and said sure. With the agreement done, Satotz began to explained the situation that had happened. Apparently, the dead man was a creature called a Man-faced ape who was attempting to lure them away. As if, scoffed Saiki as he turned away from the dead creature who was now being eaten by huge vulture like creatures. Leorio mumbled about the world being cruel and Saiki can't help but to agree and disagree.

"If you lose sight of me in the Numere Wetlands fog, you will never reach the exam's Second Phase, do bare that in mind" stated Satotz as he stared at every single applicants.

"Let us be on our way, please follow me" 

And with that said, every applicants followed the lanky man into the deep foggy wetlands. Other's had complained about the running but knew that needed to follow close or else they will be done for. But for Saiki it was just all fun and games for him.