STARTING ANEW (38)

Picture of Timi above ☝️☝️

Dieko

I remain sitted staring at the white board silently tapping my pen on the table when the bell rings for break. I don't even feel like talking today, it's just like that time Akin didn't want to talk to me- not like he wants to talk to me now but still- All I want is for school to be over so I can go home and sleep because I didn't sleep a wink last night, I was up turning and tossing.

"You okay?." Timi appears in front of me leaning on my table.

"Yeah." I nod forcing a smile.

"Don't lie to me, I know something is bothering you, tell me." He says softly taking my hand in his drawing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

"My dad is in Lagos."

"Seriously?, How do you know?."

"He came to see my mum yesterday, that was why I had to hang up when we were talking."

"So, what did he want?."

"Turns out the son that woman had for him isn't his so he came to beg my mum to come back home with myself and my sister."

"And what did your mum say?."

"She said no, that she's going to contact her lawyer so they can be separated legally."

"Is that why you're worried?." He asks softly.

"That's not even my problem." I say truthfully, I really couldn't care less if my parents were getting a divorce, it's their marriage after all, "My problem is the fact that my dad wants me to come stay with him."

"He's forcing you?."

"Nah, my mum wouldn't even allow that, she said it's completely my choice if I wanted to go or not, at first I was eavesdropping on their conversation from the kitchen then she later called me yesterday evening and spoke to me about it, if I agree to go with my dad, I'll continue at Creative Minds, the school I came from, but if not, I'll stay here with you guys."

"So what are you choosing?, your dad or your mom?."

"That's the problem, I really want to stay here, infact my mind is made up."

"So what's the problem then?."

"I feel bad, my mum already has Dami to stay here with her so if I go she won't miss me much, but even with all my Dad has done to hurt my mum, he's still my dad and his blood still runs through my veins, I feel he'll be all lonely in Abuja, what if he does something horrible like commit suicide?, I won't be able to ever forgive myself." I tell him.

"I get what you mean, and I'm not just saying this because I want you to stay here, even though I really really really want you to stay here with me." He lets out a low chuckle, "You should stay where your heart wants you too, you shouldn't do something to please anyone."

"So you're saying I should stay here in Lagos and not just go to Abuja because I want my dad to be happy?."

"Your words babe, not mine." He raises his hands up in mock surrender.

I sigh smiling.

Timi just made my decision a whole lot easier.

∆∆∆∆∆
"I'm sorry." I apologise to my dad again for the hundredth time today.

"I understand." He smiles but I can tell it's forced.

"I'm glad you do."

"Just take care of yourself and your sister okay?."

"I know, dad." I let out a genuine small, "I'm a big girl now."

"I'm sorry I didn't even contact you guys on your sixteenth birthday."

"You don't need to apologise dad, that's in the past."

"I know, I just want to let you and your sister know that I love you both, very much."

"We love you too dad, really."

"So since your mum agreed you girls can come spend some of the holidays in Abuja, I guess I'll be seeing you soon, for Christmas."

"Yeah, I guess so."

He pulls me into a hug and this time I don't pull away.

"I love you and your sister, don't forget that." Are the words he says before walking out through the front door and slamming the door behind me.

"You're a strong girl, you know that right?." My mum says from behind me making me turn around

I smile shaking my head. "You taught me that."

"You're growing up to be a strong independent woman, I couldn't be more proud of you." She pulls me into a deep hug, I swear I feel a tear drop on my forehead. Chaii, parents and their ability to be emotional.

•••••
Don't forget to vote and comment guys

I love y'all ❤️❤️