Sean x Chubby! Reader - Missed signals

Word Count: 2198

Requested By: stuffinthemuffin

You were over by Pearson's cart, chopping away at some venison that Arthur delivered not too long ago. Since Pearson himself was out shopping, you figured you'd prepare the meat for stew tonight, lest it go bad.

A large sigh left you as you brought down the knife with a loud thud.

"Hey there, pretty one." A voice to your left suddenly spoke and you glanced up to see Sean standing there.

"Hey, Sean." You sent him a small smile before going back to slamming the knife onto the cutting board, butchering the large piece of meat.

"Damn, Y/N." Sean said as he looked at you go to work, a smirk on his face. "Would you be that rough with me too?"

You choked on your own spit as the words came out of his mouth, miscalculating the strike of the knife and nearly embedding it into your own flesh.

"Jezus!" Sean exclaimed as he saw you almost cut off your hand. "Y'alright?"

"Just fine, Sean." You squeaked out.

He seemed a bit hesitant but took a step back nonetheless. "Okay. Just, be careful alright?" He said before walking deeper into camp.

You looked up as he walked away, staring at his back and letting out a sigh of relief. Sometimes, you really wished he stopped playing with your feelings like this. You loved Sean, you knew you did. But he could never love you, he had the opportunity to wind any woman around his finger with some sweet-talking. Maybe that was how he got you as well. Either way, you were pretty sure the thought of being with you disgusted him. So, to save yourself the embarrassment, you kept to yourself.

- - - -

You sat in camp, folding some of the clothes in quiet. Almost all the men were out on a job, leaving you, Strauss, the girls, Hosea and Pearson behind to look after things.

"Hey, Y/N."

You looked up to see Karen smile at you before taking a seat next to you.

"Hey." You smiled back, finishing folding the last shirt.

"How're things going?"

"Oh, you know. So so." You waved your hand back and forth as you said that.

Karen chuckled and opened her mouth to say something when the sound of horses entering the camp sounded. You and Karen stood up and walked towards everyone filing into camp, Tilly joining you both and stopping right as Dutch got off his horse.

"Ladies, could you grab some medical supplies and help? Things went a little rougher than expected." He said as he motioned to the group and you noticed that quite a few of them had been roughed up, bleeding and bruised.

Karen and Tilly nodded and quickly hustled to grab the needed things, calling the other girls while they were at it. You walked towards your own tent and grabbed the medical bag you always had there. When you returned to lead someone to their tent and treat them, Sean magically appeared in front of you with a grin, clutching his side.

"Are you to be my nurse, Y/N?" He smirked but you didn't pick up on the undertone.

"Yes." You answered and slung his arm over your shoulder, supporting him as you walked him to his tent. From all the men, he seemed to be one of the worst off.

As you got to his tent, you gently put him down on his cot, crouching down so that you could inspect his right side, which he was holding.

"Sean, can you move your hand?" You asked as you turned to the side and slid the medical bag a little closer to yourself. When you turned back forward, his hand was still in the exact same spot and Sean was looking at the ceiling innocently - just shy of whistling a tune. "Sean." You repeated.