Chapter 3

I just wanted one thing.

Sleep.

Hydra was doing nothing but being repetitive of their actions. They wanted to take down what was left of S.H.I.E.L.D and take over the world. Every day, it was always some new tactic being brought up and shot down. I didn't work in the super top secret department, so I didn't know of the hush hush projects the director had set in store. That was the worst thing. I needed to know those kinds of things. It's the only way to get great information and be one step ahead of the enemy.

My head was pounding and my eyes hurt. I had been staring at a computer screen all day running through the system and its files, making sure that I had remembered every exact thing on them. Plus, I actually had to research some information for the director, which I still hadn't met. Not until next week... My boss' words swam through my mind. I glanced occasionally at the rear view mirror and would catch a peek of myself. Half of my brown hair was up in a ponytail, while the rest flowed down to my shoulders like a waterfall. My tired hazel eyes were red and nearly dry. I pushed up my glasses and kept my eyes on the road.

My cell phone started ringing as I sped down the road. I clicked on my Bluetooth to answer the call, and when it didn't work, I realized it was my burner phone that was ringing. I dug through my purse while keeping my eyes glued to the street in front of me and answered the phone when I had found it. "Hello?"

"Hey...uh, I'm on my way home. We just got done with a mission and we have a notebook that I'm probably going to need help deciphering. There are codes and secret messages everywhere," Peter spoke. His voice sounded stressed and exhausted.

I scratched the back of my head and scrunched my nose. Guess I'm not getting rest any time soon. I thought. "Yeah, I'll head over there," I made sure there was no one else driving down the street before turning my car around as my tires screeched against the gravel. "How was the mission? Anyone injured?"

"Steve got knocked in the jaw and I was nearly shot, but we're all good." Peter hesitated and huffed before asking, "What's Project Animation?"

The wheels in my head turned as I searched through my memory. I squinted my eyes to see better. "That's the super top secret project they're working on. If I get onto the director's good side, I'll get in on it."

Steve's voice erupted from the background, "It sounds like more of a children's film than an evil plot."

I laughed at his silly remark and he became silent after he realized I could hear him. "So Rogers does have a sense of humor. Shocking."

Peter chuckled and Steve whispered in the background. "Well, it looks like we can have most of the information if we just study it," Peter's voice echoed from the phone.

I pulled up to the parking lot. "I'm coming up right now..." I hung up and got out of my car. I put my keys in my small purse and made sure to put my phone right next to it. All I could hear in the garage was the clicking of my high heels against the pavement and my quick breathing. I hope I don't stay up all night again...I haven't slept for over twenty-four hours... I thought to myself.

A hand grazed my shoulder, which I immediately reacted to. I aimed to punch the culprit, but they caught my hand. Peter raised his eyebrows, which caused his forehead to crinkle. His eyes screamed worried as he let go of my fist. "You're a bit on the edge, don't you think?"

I sighed and rubbed my forehead softly, "I'm sorry. I haven't slept a lot lately..."

"Why not?"

My eyes glazed over before I looked up at him. "Too much work to do...Nightmares...My powers...Sometimes I wake up burning up like I'm about to burst into flames..." After I realized he was staring at me intently, I chuckled lightly, "I'm fine, Peter."