Chapter 18: Roses and Insecurities

Everything was perfect until I remembered that I came to the party with Rider.

“I need to go” I said to Eric.

“Do you regret your decision?” Eric said frowning.

“No, I just need to talk with Rider. Can you give me some time?” I asked him.

He lightly kissed my cheek, “I will wait for you.  I don’t care how long it will take but I will wait for you” he whispered in my ear. In that moment, I understood that he wasn’t talking about now. I understood that he would be always here for me.

I went to find Rider, I needed to tell him that us, two would never happen. I found him sitting at the outside.

“I know that you are out there Amelia. Come on, sit next to me. We need to talk.” he said. Eventhough his words were serious he was still smiling.

“Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses, it is a quote by Alphonse Karr. Do you like roses Amelia?” asked Rider. I didn’t know what he was trying to say but I still nodded.

“Yeah, I do like roses, Rider.” I said.

“Good, from the very first time that I saw you Amelia I understood that you were a Rose. You are beautiful but also, you have your thorns. Just like Alphonse Karr I didn’t care about the thorns because you were such a beautiful flower. I wanted to be hurt by your thorns as long as you loved me but now I understand that you are not my rose. You are Eric’s rose and Eric is your rose. “ he said still smiling. Such wise words for just a sophomore I thought but deep down I knew that he was right. I knew that Eric and I would hurt each other but I didn’t care. Who would care about the thorns when the rose was such a beautiful flower? I pitied Rider but I was glad that he understood me.

“Do you have a Rose, Rider.” I said.

“No, but I have one in my mind. I just don’t know if she is my rose or not.” he said smiling at the way I used his metaphor.

“And who is that lucky Rose?” I asked.

“Lucy” Rider said. I smiled, they would make a cute couple for sure.  I was very excited to talk to Eric and tell him the news. Hopefully, he wouldn’t act like a overprotective brother.

******************************************************************************

“Who did you choose?” Eric said to me when I came back.

“I didn’t even have a choice to make. Ofcourse I choose you Eric.” I said then hugged him. He hugged me back while laughing.

“So, do you have anything that bothers you anymore?” he asked while he made me sit next to him.

“Actually I do have one more thing that bothers me. It was bothering me ever since the Cath incident.” I said.

“What is it?” Eric asked softly while pulling me closer to himself.

“The thing is, in romance novels or in anywhere else things doesn’t work like this. I always like to find logic in everything but I can’t find any logic in this.” I said to Eric while scooting a little bit away from him.

“I don’t understand.” he said.

“Boys like you don’t just fall for girls like me, you are special but there is nothing special about me. It is not even like the cliches where the bad boy falls for the nerd. I am not a nerd, or the outcast who is secretly a genius, or the beautiful cheerleader, the feisty girl that everyone wants, the innocent girl that you can’t help but fall for, the strong girl that fights for her family,the successful girl that wins all of the sport contests that she attends, the childhood friend that knows everything about you. I am none of them. I am normal and why someone like you would want to go for the normal? I am as fake as the other girls. I do my make up, my hair, I search through my clothes for hours just to be accepted, to fit in. I have no difference compared to the any other girl in this school.” I said looking at Eric, tears glistening in my eyes. I was never the special girl. My family always reminded me of that. I was not fit enough, smart enough, sympathic enough. My sister was the worlds gymnastic champion and she was going to Yale with full scholarship. I had all of those insecurities piled up inside me.

“I am not smart, I am not bad enough to be the bad boy, cool enough to be the face of the school. I am not the nerdy boy, the artistic boy, the musician boy. I am nothing so why would you choose me?” Eric said taking me off guard.

“I- I don’t know but you are the captain of a team and everyone looks up at you. You are everyting but normal.” I said.

“Daniel is a captain, too. There are other captains in other sports. Why me?” he said scooting closer to me.

“Because I love you. Whenever I see you I don’t just feel the butterflies I feel the whole zoo inside me. I feel protected, loved and special when I am with you” I answered.

“Look, you got your answer.”

“Huh?”

“ I don’t need a reason to love you. The feeling that I get when I am with you, they way I love your smile, your laugh, your sarcastic remarks. The way you were always there for me even when I was in my worst days; these are just one of the reasons I love you. You are perfect for me. You are different, special for me and eventough you try so hard to fit in, I don’t care. You don’t have to try so hard because you are perfect just the way you are” he said. I looked into his amazing blue eyes, searched for a sign that showed he was lying but all I could see was sincerity.

“I love you” I whispered.

“I love you too” he breathed cupping my face, he kissed me with all the passion that he had and as we clung to each other with love,  all of my insecurities and worries went away.

I don’t have to try, I thought for the first time.

*********************************************************************************

Hey Guys! Sorry for the late update. I was in vacation and we didn’t have any computers at there. I got inspiration from the song Try by Colbie Caillat for this chapter. I wrote this chapter for especially the girls with insecurities. Just like Colbie Caillat said, You don’t have to try because every one of you are perfect just the way you are. In past, I felt so insecure about everything too but one day I just stopped. I looked at the mirror and couldn’t see a reason why people wouldn’t like me. Yeah I have my flaws but who doesn’t anyway? I just thought that if someone don’t likes me then it is their loss because I was not an unlikeable person. You should think like that too, you don’t need to change for the other people. If you want to do something, do it for yourself!

Thank you for reading! Make sure to VOTE,COMMENT&FAN.

MelisZrhlolu