twenty one

JJ and Morgan were at the crime scene; Emily and Rossi at the morgue; and me, Hotch, and Reid were currently setting up at the local police station.

It was extremely awkward between Hotch and I. We haven't said a word to each other since we kissed.

"I talked to the M.E. It turns out Sam was hit with a pipe about 10 times. Bruce was beaten over 30." Emily said as her and Rossi joined the three of us at the station. JJ and Morgan should be arriving back at any moment.

"That's either adrenaline or an extremely high endurance level." I noted.

"He had the remorse one experience from killing anxiety for both victims, but the increase in hits on the second victim indicates that he started to enjoy it." Reid stated.

"It could be overkill." Morgan spoke as him and JJ entered.

"But overkill usually means a personal relationship." Hotch said, denying Morgan. "If the victims didn't know each other, it's unlikely the unsub knew them."

"So what would account for this level of blood letting?" JJ asked.

"The primal rage could be about the blood itself. If he's enjoying the killing, then he's getting aroused by it and developing a kind of blood lust." Reid spoke his thoughts.

"Then why hasn't he done it again?" I asked.

"Maybe he hasn't had the chance." Hotch spoke as he stared directly at me.

I bit the inside of my lip, was he actually answering the question about the unsub or did he mean something else?

"We should expect another victim soon then." Rossi cut in.

"Right. For now, let's head back to the hotel and get some sleep. There's nothing more we can do till then." Hotch spoke.

We all nodded and began to get ready to leave the station.

--

Me, Morgan, and JJ were currently in one of the SUVs heading to our hotel. I was in the passenger seat and JJ was in the back. They were discussing some case details, but I wasn't in the right head space for this to be my first case in the field. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened at the shooting range.

"Hey, you okay?" Morgan asked, shifting his direction from the road to me.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking about the case." I lied.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." JJ added from the back.

--

Both SUVs arrived to the hotel at the same time. We all checked in and headed to our rooms. Everyone was on the same floor, some next to each other and some across.

My room was a basic hotel room that held a queen size bed, a dresser with a tv on top, a desk, and a bathroom. In the middle of the room was a door that connected my room to Emily's.

I quickly jumped in the shower to wash my hair and body. I thought this would help me clear my thoughts, but it only made it worse.

I couldn't get my mind off of Hotch. Thousands of situations were running through my head. Did the kiss mean anything to him? Did he feel the same way about me? But then I think about my feelings for him, do I like him? Everything was just extremely confusing.

Once I was done, I stepped out of the shower and threw my wet hair into a messy bun. I dried my body and put on white and black plaid pajama pants and a black crew neck.

I was about to get in bed for the night, when I heard a knock on my door.

I looked through the peep hole and saw Hotch. He was still wearing his suit, minus his jacket.