seven

We stepped off the elevator and headed towards Strauss's office.

I was about to grab the door handle but I paused. I could feel my heart racing and my skin getting heated. I was extremely nervous.

"You good?" Anderson asked.

I let out a sigh and nodded before knocking on her door.

"Come in." We heard faintly.

We both entered to see Strauss sitting behind her desk.

"Agents, please take a seat." She said as she gestured at the two empty chairs placed on the other side of her desk.

We both took a seat, and sat in an uncomfortable silence.

"I assume you both know why you are here?" Strauss began.

"Yes, ma'am." Anderson spoke as I nodded and looked down.

"Good, then this will be easy." My heart sunk as she spoke.

"Grant Anderson and Devyn Carter." She looked at both of us while saying each of our names. "You both have crossed many lines and went against numerous regulations. Let's begin with Mr. Anderson.  You disobeyed direct directions from the bureau's head agent, Agent Hotchner, yes?"

I looked up as she said that name; my stomach full of butterflies. Not the time, Devyn. Not the time.

"Yes." Anderson said, choosing not to argue with his boss. Technically Agent Hotchner didn't specify Grant should stay with Elle.

"By going against his command, Agent Greenaway was shot, almost costing her life." Strauss continued.

Anderson looked down to his lap where his hands were intertwined as he was fiddling his thumbs. I wanted to console him and tell him it would be okay, but I couldn't lie. Everything was not going to be okay.

"Along with this, you brought Agent Carter to an FBI crime scene where she was not welcomed. You were invited as a side agent where you were asked to help process the scene, correct?"

"Correct." Anderson choked. He was almost on the verge of tears.

"Now you, Ms. Carter. Walking on to Agent Greenaway's property was out of your jurisdiction. As an agent not trained for the field, you could have cost us the case."

I went to speak, but I didn't know what to say. She was right, if the other officers found out I wasn't a real agent, the case would've been turned over from the BAU.

"You know I hate to do this, but you leave me no choice." Strauss said as she sighed.

Anderson and I nodded, even if we knew she was lying. She loved to do this.

"Grant Anderson, please turn over your gun and badge. You will no longer serve for the Federal Bureau of Investigation effective immediately."

It felt like a hole had just been ripped from my chest. I knew she was about to say the exact same words to me, minus the gun, since I wasn't trained for the field.

Anderson stood from his chair as he removed the gun from his holster and placed it on the desk in front of us. He then removed his badge from the pocket in his suit jacket, and paused. He looked at it before setting it on the desk next to his gun.

"Thank you for your time. Now, I'd like to speak to Agent Carter alone please."

Oh god, what could she possibly have to say to me that she couldn't say in front of Grant?

I looked up to Anderson as he was about to leave the room. His eyes were full of tears that I could tell he was holding back. We stared at each other for a second as if we were both saying I'm sorry. He then exited the room, leaving Strauss and I alone.