epilogue

FIVE YEARS LATER

"Daddy!" Amelia shouted as her father walked through the front door of their house.

"Hi sweetie!" Aaron greeted his daughter, picking her up and throwing her onto his hip.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, and nuzzled her face into the side. He kissed her forehead lightly as they made their way into the kitchen.

In the kitchen was Devyn, preparing dinner at the sink. Her back was towards the door as her hips swayed to the faint music coming from the TV.

Aaron gently set Amelia down and whispered, "Why don't you go get Jack from upstairs. Tell him dinners ready."

Amelia eagerly nodded and skipped away to the stairs. Her dark, long hair glided behind her as she sped up.

Aaron snuck up behind Devyn, wrapping his arms around her very pregnant belly, and placing his head on her shoulder.

She gasped, "I didn't even hear you come in! How was work?"

"Boring without you," He mumbled into her neck, peppering it with soft kisses. She melted into his embrace at the feeling.

Devyn had been forced to take medical leave due to her pregnancy. She was due in a little over a month, but Aaron insisted she stay home early. Devyn didn't mind, she loved staying home with Jack and Amelia.

The sound of pattering of tiny feet running across the floor pulled them apart.

Jack, Amelia, and Gunner eagerly ran into the kitchen, excited for food. Jack poured some in Gunner's bowl before going to greet his father.

"Hey dad!" He waved as he picked up his younger sister, helping her into her seat at the dinner table.

Jack loved his sister, and was more than excited for the other sibling on the way.

"How was school, bud?" Aaron asked as him and Devyn placed the plates of food in front of their kids, before sitting down to join them.

The rest of the dinner was full of laughter and small talk. The basic family moments that each of them loved.

After dinner they all cuddled on the couch, watching Finding Dory. Once the movie was over, Aaron carried Amelia up the stairs, tucking her into bed. He then peaked into Jack's room, seeing him reading a comic book in bed. They both bid their goodnights before Aaron headed back downstairs, to see Devyn asleep on the couch.

He carefully nudged her, in attempt to wake her up. He would normally carry her, but he knew he wouldn't be able to support her pregnant self all the way upstairs. "Come on, Dev, let's get you to bed. It's been a long day."

Devyn reluctantly rolled off the couch, not being able to see her feet hit the ground. The two made their way upstairs and quickly got ready for bed.

Devyn laid on her back, not being able to sleep any other way. Aaron was at her side, with his hands on her protruding stomach.

"Hi baby, It's your dad. I can't wait to meet you." This was an everyday scene for the couple, Aaron would talk to their unborn child. Sometimes he would read a bedtime story, or sing a lullaby.

They had decided on waiting to know the gender of the baby. Aaron wanted another girl, while Devyn wanted a boy, but of course they'd be happy with either.

"I can't wait for you to meet Jack and Amelia, I just know you will get along so well. I can't wait to see your dark hair and big beautiful eyes."

Devyn chuckled, "How do you know he's going to have dark hair?"

"She is one hundred percent going to have dark hair, have you seen Amelia?" They both shared a laugh as Aaron rose from their bed, going to his nightstand, and pulling out a wrapped box.

Devyn sat up, a little surprised.

"Happy anniversary, love," Aaron smiled as he gave her the box.

"But- but it's tomorrow!"

"I know, but I couldn't wait. Open it!" He begged.

Devyn carefully unwrapped the box. Inside, was a thick, brown book. She removed the book from the box to reveal the title:

DC & AH

Her fingers grazed across the title before she slowly opened it up, flipping through the pages, examining each one in grave detail.

The scrapbook included pictures from all their years. From when Devyn first joined the team, to their first date, to their wedding. All of the above.

Devyn felt tears form in her eyes as she continued to flip through the pages. When she got to their wedding, the happy streams flowed down her cheek.

The first picture was their perfect little family; Aaron and Devyn standing next to each other with Amelia on Devyn's hip and Jack standing in between them. They each had immense smiles on their faces, happy in the moment.

Three years ago Aaron and Devyn had married. The whole team was there, along with Hayden, Tabitha, and Devyn's family. Sean, Aaron's brother also attended. It wasn't a huge venue, but it was all they could ask for.

The next picture was of Devyn walking down the isle. Her arm was linked with Ryan's, who was as happy as could be. In the background, was Aaron, eagerly waiting for the moment he could 'kiss the bride'

The third picture was a candid of Devyn and the girls. JJ, Emily, and Penelope hugging her tightly.

Fourth, was an image of Devyn with Ryan and Angie. Both of her parents were extremely supportive and couldn't wait for Devyn and Aaron's family to grow.

The final picture on the page was the whole team. They each posed for the camera in a silly way, with Aaron and Devyn laughing away in the center.

On the right page next to all the pictures was a laminated crumbled up sticky note. Devyn laughed, knowing exactly what it was.

The odds of existing are slim.
So the odds of you and I existing at the same time must be next to impossible,
and I think that's beautiful.
Maybe the universe does work in my favor after all,
because I got the chance to get to know you.

It was the poem she had written for her vows. They didn't want to go with the traditional, long and cheesy vows, instead doing something a little different.

Devyn turned to face Aaron as he wiped the tears off of Devyn's cheeks with the pads of his thumbs.

He placed a passionate kiss onto her lips, laced with nothing but love.

--

Anddddddd that's a wrap!

Thanks again for all the love and support <3

Don't forget to read my new book: Losing Game!

-A

Ps: creds to @/keiravanderkolk on tik tok for the poem!