Chapter 14 - Maniacal

Soft linen sheets wrapped around my figure, warm rays of sun shone through the windows. The quiet mumbling of dastardly plans could be heard from outside the safe, enclosed space of my bedroom.

I reluctantly pushed the sheets off my body, the sudden loss of warmth causing my body to shiver in discontent. I pushed my weary limbs out of bed and stood, stretching my arms above my head and letting out a satisfying sigh.

I showered, then changed into fresh clothes and walked down the stairs. Where, as expected, I was greeted by casual looks of malice.

"Good morning, Y/N," Itachi welcomed.

"Good morning brother, Kisame," Kisame and Itachi nodded at their recognition. Hidan, however, wasn't so pleased.

"HAH? SO YOU GIVE BLOOD EYES AND SHARK BOY ATTENTION BUT NOT ME? I'LL SACRIFICE YOU TO JASHIN, YOU DASTARDLY WOMAN!" He screamed, quite angrily.

"A not so pleasant morning to you too, Hidan," The grey-haired male grumbled in dissatisfaction, yet didn't say anything.

"May I know what you were talking about?" I inquired, while I walked over to the small kitchen, preparing a small cup of coffee for myself.

"Pain's gathering of the tailed beasts; now Orochimaru is dead, there's nothing hindering his plans," Itachi stated, taking a sip of the tea that perched in front of him.

"Who's taking who?" I asked while filling my mug with the liquid energy.

"Kisame and I will help you and Kazuhiro with Naruto, he's become more powerful as of late," I slipped out of the kitchen and sat with the tall men.

"Kazuhiro and I can do it ourselves, Naruto has a soft spot for me anyway," I sipped the drink; it still being piping hot made it burn my mouth a little.

"I'll ask Pain if he has anything else for Kisame and I to do," Itachi left with that statement, putting his teacup in the kitchen sink, and walked to Pain's office.

I sat in the living room and made idle chit-chat with Kisame, completely ignoring Hidan and his murderous tendencies, taking small sips of coffee as we talked.

When Itachi began to walk back from Pain's office, I remembered about Sasuke.

"Itachi, I'm sure you already know this but, Sasuke is currently creating a team so that he can kill you," Itachi's blank face seemed to drop at my words, we were both prepared for the consequences of the actions we had performed. However, Itachi had never expected Sasuke to resent him so much.

"As expected, I shall see how strong he is and decide whether he has finally earned the right to kill me," His arm that was poking through the zipper on his Akatsuki cloak tensed into a fist.

I let out a breathy sigh and took a chug of my coffee; looking down into the now empty, coffee-stained mug. My hand clenched around the handle.

"Why are you so accepting of it, Itachi?" His black facial expression showed emotion for the first time in years. Though it was only briefly, I saw a hint of despair and shock in his eyes.

Both Hidan and Kisame seemed shocked at my words, Hidan had stopped his incessant ramblings and Kisame had stopped poking fun at everyone. We all sat in silence anticipating Itachi's answer.