11. - Part Two -

For the first time, she found herself in front of the Devine Mercy Rehabilitation Center and observed the beautiful nature that surrounded this facility. In front of the building, which was newly built (unlike the cold and stone boulders of the Grand Valley), there was a wide grassy space that was decorated with beautiful spring flowers such as tulips and violets. Several patients walked in front of the center enjoying the beautiful sun and fresh air.

Scarlett walked into a blindingly lit room and found herself in front of a reception desk behind which was a brown-haired girl with a wide smile on her face.

"Good afternoon, miss," she greeted her politely, and Scarlett replied. ''How may I help you?''

"I'd like to see my brother, Luke Young."

''OK. What is your name?''

"Scarlett Young."

"Just a moment," she typed something on the keyboard to check the information Scarlett had given her, and then she slowly got up from the chair she was sitting on, signaling to follow her. Scarlett had to speed up her pace because the receptionist was too fast for her. For a moment, she wondered if there's a secret jogging competition she didn't know about.

The rehabilitation center was extremely spacious and had countless activities to keep the attention of their patients throughout the day. The receptionist, whose name was Rachel, led her to a large room with a dozen patients who were killing time with various pastimes. Some were playing table tennis, some were arguing over board games, and some were lounging on a dark couch in the center of the room and watching a documentary on TV. Rachel touched her on the shoulder, pointed to a group arguing about board games, and said something to her, but for Scarlett it was like a whisper coming from the other side of the mountain when she saw his blond hair. She knew immediately it was him.

With a timid step, she walked towards the table where four men of different ages were sitting; according to Scarlett's estimate between twenty-one and forty-five years. The youngest guy sitting next to Luke raised his head and she saw a sign of recognition in his eyes. Luke was probably showing him their last picture together, which she knew he always kept in his wallet. The black-haired young man slammed his elbow into his chest, and Luke nodded with a muffled moan, looking up at her. He froze the moment he saw her – like people who looked Medusa in the eye and remained petrified forever.

Scarlett saw fear and insecurity in his eyes. She didn't resent him; she didn't even deserve to see her differently. She swallowed the lump and smiled weakly, so it was enough encouragement for him to get up and approach her. Luke rubbed his palms nervously, and not knowing what to do with them, he put his hands in his trouser pockets. He watched her silently. He seemed even fresher and healthier than last time.

"Hi," she said weakly.

"Hi," he replied. "Do you want to sit down?"

"Yes, I would love that."

They sat down at a small wooden table next to a woman and a man who were playing table tennis and quietly complained when they missed. They stared at each other for a while, not knowing what to say to each other. They wanted to choose the words they carefully, but how to choose the words carefully if you don't remember the last time you spoke with that person without hurting them?

"I'm so glad you came," he whispered to her, nervously playing with his fingers. "What made you change your mind?"

She bit her lip, as her vision blurred from the tears gathering in her eyes against her will. "Let's say a friend showed me things I had refused to see for a long time because of the bitterness I felt."