17.

She wasn't sure how long she stared impatiently at Paul Maynard's disgusting, selfish face that was reclining in his leather armchair across from her. She stomped her foot under the table, and pressed her fingers trying to ease the radiant pain she felt in her temples. Paul held his hands in the air so that his fingertips touched and formed a pyramid. He just needed to smile eerily and be the real Mr. Burns of The Simpsons. It was obvious that he was really trying to make a sympathetic and worried face, but he was betrayed by a smile that flickered in the corners of his lips. Scarlett could hear her repeating in her head: I told you. I told you. I told you.

"Just say it," Scarlett snorted listlessly.

"What's that?" He raised his eyebrows and made an innocent expression on his face as if he had no idea what he was talking about.

"Say you were right."

"Was I?" He said unconvincingly. "Miss Young, I don't like other people's misfortunes. But the fact is that I told you it was not wise to go to his cell. He was closed for a reason and has no contact with anyone except the staff, and even then, he is at a certain distance. He is dangerous. You have now established that on your own skin. "

''Yes I did.''

For a few moments, he stared at her as if thinking of something, and then he pulled a chair closer to the table and leaned toward her. She could see the wrinkles in the corners of his eyes.

"Miss Young, I know you're upset, but if you don't mind me asking, do you know the reason Sebastian treated you that way? Did you upset him with something? "

She looked down, bit her lower lip, and began to play with her fingers. She really wasn't sure what the right answer to that question was. No, he didn't really attack me; it's just his way of telling me he's innocent. Why did she trust him above all else? Why did she want to protect him? And why did she even think and hesitate about it? Was he really telling the truth? It looked that way. Maybe the problem is actually in her. She let him approach her. She opened up to him. It was a matter of time before he would enter her head and, like a vicious virus, poison every part of her body. She doubted everything and most of all – herself.

"I really don't know," she shrugged and licked her lips. "Until now, he has never shown aggression. Are you sure he took his therapy regularly? "

''Of course I am. Do you question the expertise of the staff and my superiority? "

''No, of course not. I just remind you that he tried to overdose on the pills he regularly took as therapy. "

Paul Maynard clenched his jaw and narrowed his eyes. It was obvious that he didn't like the direction of the conversation at all. And that's exactly what Scarlett wanted.

"Scarlett, Sebastian Carter is a very disturbed young man who doesn't need much to develop a certain idea in his sick mind. He was locked in four walls for months without any contact, and you gave him exactly what we took away from him. Contact with the outside world. "

"But he also had contact with other psychiatrists."

"Yes, but he refused any kind of conversation with them. He spoke to you immediately. "

"I don't see why we're talking about these things. That still doesn't explain why he attacked me," she took a defensive stance, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You are a young woman at a very wonderful age, Scarlett. You are not much different from his previous victims. My view of all this is that Sebastian may have developed a certain fixation on you. However, you are the only female person who had contact with him voluntarily and who was there to listen to him. You cared for him enough that you even put yourself at risk by entering his cell. "