15.

It was evening when Thomas escorted her to the front door of her apartment. All the way, he enthusiastically recounted the events that took place on Luke's birthday party - from the comic table tennis competition to his joking and getting closer to Luke. As he spoke to her, his eyes gleamed with an unknown glow and his face was radiant. Scarlett listened intently and watched him with delight, eager to absorb every bit of his excitement. He acted like a small child who recounts what happened to him at school or when he played with his friends. She realized how much she actually missed those little things that make a monotonous everyday life unique. When the only thing you want is to come to your loved one and tell them everything that happened to you that day or just lie in his arms while the pleasant silence is overshadowed by his balanced heartbeat and calms you down. Is that too much for someone like her?

"Did I talk too much?" He smiled uncertainly and ran his fist over the back of the door. Scarlett leaned against the doorframe as she watched his full lips that were slightly parted and the hazelnut-colored eyes that left her breathless and lost every time.

"No," she shook her head briefly and spread her lips into a smile. "Actually, I'm so glad you had a good time."

''Me too. It is good that we can spend time together outside of this case. It's nice, isn't it? "

"Yes, it really is."

He watched her for a few moments, his gaze flickering slightly from her lips to her eyes. He bit his lower lip. He seemed to be struggling to do something that might cross the line; something like when he kissed her and after that called himself an idiot because he thought he ruined everything. He usually considered himself a man of control, a man who always knows how and why he would react. But when it came to her, no rules applied anymore.

''See you tomorrow, Scarlett. Have a nice rest," he lightly touched her shoulder with his hand and, turning on his heels, left Scarlet alone by the doorframe. Her heart started pounding like crazy, almost wanting to jump out of her chest. It looked like she was going to have a panic attack at any moment. However, she knew that it was not a panic attack, but her body's reaction to weighing a very difficult decision. The decision she had been trying to pass over her lips all evening.

"Thomas, wait," her voice trembled more than she wanted. It sounded much determined in her head. She squeezed her eyelids once more to gather herself and let out a shaky exhalation. She found herself a few steps in front of him, watching her in confusion, but a glimmer of hope shone softly in his eyes. She looked at him once more for a few seconds, almost as if she wanted to seal that moment in her mind forever. She swallowed a huge lump that blocked her air supply and, clutching the collar of his shirt made of very fine material with her hands, pressed her lips to his.

Thomas groaned softly under her lips, his shoulders tense. It was obvious that this was something he did not expect, although he secretly hoped for such a sequence of events. He parted his lips briefly from hers to look at her. It seemed that he was trying to make sure that this was really happening and to ask for confirmation of what he would do in the following moments.

He placed his hands on her warm cheeks and kissed her passionately. There was a longing and passion in his kiss that she hadn't felt in a long time. He nailed her to a wall not far from them, still kissing her incessantly as her hands slid down his waist. She dug her fingers into the fabric of his shirt with pleasure, and he moaned softly again.

Hearing the thump of someone's shoes on the stairs in the distance, they snatched from each other's arms. Panting, they watched each other in silence. Thomas licked his lips and looked up the stairs, and Scarlett took the opportunity to pull the keys out of her purse and unlock the door. She quickly found herself in the hallway of her warm home as Thomas followed her with a dose of uncertainty. She tossed her purse and cardigan off on the floor and locked the door behind them. She threw herself lustfully on Thomas's lips again, but he held her with his hands.