6.

Scarlett breathed intermittently as she stared at the damaged canvas in front of her with her hand over her lips. She was unaware of the moment she got to her feet and approached him; but she found herself in front of his broad shoulders and watched every tiny detail on his back. Whitish and dark scars inflicted by something sharp framed his back — a knife, she concluded. She also saw round dark scars in several places, which are formed when a lighted cigarette is pressed on the skin. Her lower lip quivered, and the corners of her eyes filled with tears. She has never seen something so horrible in her whole life.

The next moment she came face to face with Sebastian. She stared at his bare mutilated chest that rose and fell slightly in an unambiguous rhythm. She placed her fist on the thick glass and ran her fingers gently along the scars that stretched across his entire torso and stopped at the edge of his tracksuit. It was almost as if she could feel them under her fingers. She met his gaze which was at once empty, and yet so vulnerable. She couldn't explain it herself, but she could see the pain in his eyes — the pain caused by a thousand small scars.

They watched each other in silence for a long time. Sebastian felt vulnerable and allowed her to see a part of him that no one had before. A defeated and tortured boy who did not have the childhood he should have. She wanted to break through the thick shield that separated them and hug him, and no, she didn't want to hug the killer who did disgusting things to innocent girls - she wanted to hug the boy who was suffering.

"I don't want you to feel sorry for me, Doc," he said completely coldly with an expressionless face, but something flickered in his eyes - something he was trying to keep for himself. "I've done terrible things in my life. And I have hurt many. This is something I deserve. "

"Don't say that," she pressed her hand tighter against the glass. "Whatever you did, you didn't deserve it. You were just a child. "

"Child or not, that was inevitable, Scarlett."

"Why do you think you weren't worth something normal?"

"When someone tells you the same things every day, after a while, you start to believe in it," he said as he pulled his T-shirt over his firm chest. If Scarlett hadn't been so horrified by the sight, she would have thought how wonderfully built he was for someone locked up in a sanitarium.

"I'm sorry, Sebastian."

"There is no need for that. You cannot change what has already caused damage."

"Did you have anything to do with ..." she stammered as she tried to form that horrible question. "With the death of your father?"

He turned his back to her, but she heard his giggle. He shook his head in disbelief at her question.

"You ask me, Scarlett, if I killed my father?"

She fell silent and looked down. A terrible weight was accumulating on her chest and she could not breathe. "I didn't kill him. As much as I was a monster and hated him, I didn't do it. I was a child. "

"I understand.''

"No, you don't understand, Scarlett. You will never understand. "

"My parents died," she said, almost not believing that she had revealed it to him. Why on Earth did I say that?

He turned to her and watched her face. It was obvious that he was trying to determine if she was lying to him. She decided to keep talking. "When I was sixteen, they died in a car accident. A drunk driver hit them."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Why should I trust you? Compared to me, you are the one who is imprisoned", he forced a smile on that.