Chapter 3

•••

•••

Evie didn't know how long it had been since she stayed locked in her room. She didn't know how long she didn't go out. She didn't know how long she hadn't seen any of her friends except for Embry. And being in summer break wasn't helping. She felt as if she was out of time as if her room was stuck in time as if time itself wasn't functioning in her place. Outside, life was still going on, but not in Evie's room. It was blank, silent, empty. Yet she didn't mind. She felt empty. Who would have thought she would have ended up like this before? She thought of herself as so strong. What had happened? What had happened to her? It wasn't her. She was someone else, something else. Something wasn't right, something was wrong. She knew it. Yet she didn't have the strength to do anything. She didn't have the strength to make a change, to go back to her old self. Was it even possible? Could she be her again? Could she rewind time? But who was she before? It felt so long. How was she like?

The door of her room swung open, putting a stop to her thoughts. Evie looked up. Leah was standing at the frame of the door, dressed in a pair of shorts and a white tank top. She had her usual firm scowl. The oldest sibling of the Clearwater family walked over Evie's bed and opened the curtains roughly. Evie squinted her eyes a little with all the light coming into her room.

"Get you ass up that bed. Now." Leah coldly ordered. Evie frowned. Leah sighed exasperatedly and took her younger sister's hand and pulled her, making her sat up. "Put on new clothes. We're going out."

"I don't feel like it," Evie said, lying down again. Leah sighed again, annoyed.

"You're getting on my nerves, I swear," Leah complained. Evie clenched her jaw, not daring to look at her older sister in the eyes. "Are you seriously gonna lie down every day until Jacob comes back?"

Evie still didn't look at her, averted her eyes somewhere else in her room. She caught sight of her desk lamp. She focused on it.

"Seriously, Evita, wake up!" Leah rose her voice. "Can't you see yourself?! Can't you see what you have become?! You were so strong and independent before! Doing things on your own, fighting fearlessly, standing for what you believe was right, standing for yourself! Now you're here, doing nothing of your days, crying over some boys! You're better than that! You're stronger than that!"

Evie stayed silent. Being lectured was the last thing she wanted. Shouting at her will not make her forget him.

"Jacob might never come back." Leah went on. Evie flinched. The simple thought of that broke her heart even more. If it was Leah's way to help her, it was not working at all. "Don't let him rule your life like that! Show him he was wrong! Make him realise what he did! You're a Clearwater and a Clearwater never let anybody put them down. We're here for you, helping you, but if you don't make any effort on your side then it will never work out. So snap out of it Evita!"

"Leah!" Mrs Clearwater scolded. She was at the frame of the door. Leah sighed, annoyed and went out of the room. Evie still could hear what they were saying as they went down the stairs.