Chapter 18

Evie and Jacob arrived at the reservation. In their wolf form, they walked into the large area where the meeting would take place. The whole pack was already there, facing the big black wolf. Sam, the alpha.

When Evie and Jacob reached them, Sam stared at both for a moment. Hiding their thoughts was nearly impossible. And just by hia low growl and narrowed eyes, Evie knew Sam (and the rest of the pack) now was aware of the situation. And that he wasn't liking it.

"Bella is pregnant?!" Sarah exclaimed, shocked.

"And with that leech's baby!" Paul exclaimed in disgust.

"How is that even possible?" Aaron asked, confused.

"What are we gonna do?" Quil asked Sam.

Both Evie and Jacob shared a worry look.

"We have to protect the tribe," Sam said. "The inbred won’t be able to control its thirst. Every human will be in danger,"

"We’re ready!" Embry said, determined. Evie frowned.

"We can’t wait," Leah added.

"Now?" Jacob asked, worried.

"We must destroy it before it’s born," Sam stated.

"You mean, kill Bella?" Seth stressed.

Evie tensed. There was no way she would let it happen.

"Her choice affects us all," Sam sternly said.

"Bella’s human, our protection applies to her," Evie stepped in.

"She’s dying anyway!" Leah growled.

"Leah!" Evie growled. "She's my friend!"

"Do a friend kiss the boy her friend likes? Do a friend lead the boy her friend likes on? How can you still even be friend with her?!" Leah shot back. She still hadn't gone back over her strong dislike of the little human.

"That's not the point! I will not kill Bella!" Evie exclaimed.

"We have real enemies to fight tonight," Sam stepped in.

"Tonight?" Evie repeated, shocked. "Bella is not a vampire! There's no way we kill her!"

"Evie-," Embry said.

"No!" Evie exclaimed. "Our duty is to protect humans! Bella is still one of them!"

"And she endenger the rest of the town," Sam firmly said.

"You don't know that!" Evie shot back. "Edward is the father but Bella is the mother. It means that the baby will share both of their bloods. The baby will surely be half human!"

"You don't know that,"

"It's genetics, Sam! This is how it works!" Evie said.

"She got a point," Jacob sided with her. "Maybe the baby is not a threat. Maybe it will not feed on blood. You all assume the baby will kill everyone but what if it’s not the case?"

"You would have killed Bella for nothing," Seth added. "You would have killed an innocent. That's against our laws,"

"And it would result in a war and useless deaths," Jacob added. "Do you want to take that risk?"

"The baby may be a greater danger," Paul said. "We have no certainty that what you are saying is true,"

"And so do you," Evie stepped in again. "You have no certainty that the baby is a danger! And technically, since he's half human, our protection applies to him too,"