18 | ♛ | Gold Tinged Memories

E I G H T E E N
gold tinged memories

E I G H T E E Ngold tinged memories

A.X.A

I WAKE UP TO a soft caress, soon after, a voice I know all too well calls my name with urgency.

When had I fallen asleep?

The sight of glassy grey eyes greet me when my own blink open with great effort, Arden lets out something that sounds like a choked cry "What have you done to yourself, Adrian? You're burning up."

My brows furrow, the moment I'd woken up I'd felt off, it had felt as though waves of heat had been seeping out of my body but instead of admitting it, I try an attempt at humour "Is that your way of telling me I'm hot?" it comes out pathetically, my voice all croaky.

Due to the ache in my body, even talking is a challenge.

"We need to get you home. Will you manage walking?" She asks, her sentences spoken softly but tinged with blatant urgency and worry, I try to nod but I don't want to "Can't I just sleep here, you can spend the night with me." I reconsider that offer "Or you can go back, if you want to."

After last night, I won't be surprised if she does.

Arden let's out a shaky breath "I'm not leaving you." She turns to look around for something and I almost protest when her cold hand leaves my cheek "Why didn't you pick up any of my calls? Had you picked up just one, I would've come running to you, Love."

Desperation bleeds into every word, I can only watch with heavy eyes as she frantically grabs her phone and holds it up to her ear, eyes finding mine again "I didn't want to disturb you. You told me not to come to you if I got sick..but this doesn't mean I'm sick." 

Her eyes still remain on mine even as she speaks to someone hurridly. I continue again when she cuts the call.

"I'm just tired." I pause to catch my breath "You must be too because you fell asleep on the couch. I moved you to the room and slept there instead but I still felt bad so I turned off your alarms so you could sleep in and shifted my meetings to the other office so that you wouldn't have to see me."

Arden bites her lip, leaning forward to push away the blanket I had carelessly draped on myself, I shudder at the cold that suddenly envelopes me. Her hand finds my face, making me shiver yet again but this time not only because of its temperature.

"I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry you had to sleep on the couch. I'm sorry I told you not to come to me." Her thumb moves in soothing circles, I feel my eyes drooping "No, wait, you need to stay awake, just for a little while longer. Until we're in the car, please stay awake."

I fight against the sleep but it's hard because she's here with me, her hands on my face, her eyes filled with so many emotions as they look at me and for the longest time had I not wanted this?