04 | ♛ | Musgravites Are A Girls Best Friend

A

A.E.C

I HAD JUST TAKEN the last bite of my waffle when Adrian's message made my phone chime.

I'd invited him to come up for breakfast-a formality-but he had declined-no doubt knowing the nature of my offer. Saying goodbye to Cel, I exit her house, the light breeze making the blonde I'd meticulously curled sway. 

I take a seat in Adrian's black Bugatti, his voice carries a slight rasp to it when he greets me with a "Good Morning." which I volley back at him.

While Adrian drives, I open my phone to go through the fifteen hundred emails that had amassed in my inbox overnight before getting bored and switching to the list of wedding-related things I'd jotted in my notes.

It was just a task that helped me get a grip on my feelings regarding the daunting road ahead. Compartmentalising soothed me. Since we were definitely going to hire a wedding planner, I was glad the never-ending list wasn't another thing on my plate to fret over. But therein lay the problem, I wasn't sure if the person I had in mind would be up for it.

"We need to decide on a wedding planner soon." I murmur, mindful of the minuscule period of time we had, I lean my head back against the headrest.

Adrian spares me a glance "You could ask Blair."

I look out the window "I want to. Blair's definitely one of the best event planners this city has to offer-the best in my eyes-but..." I trail off, knowing that Adrian would understand the rest.

I watch his lips quirk up slightly and I only give myself five seconds to admire his smile before turning away "Just give her a call."

"You really think she'll pick up?" I ask, trying and failing to hide the grimace on my face at the prospect of rejection and hope to line my voice at the prospect of acceptance.

"Ard, I know she will." He parks the car and turns to look at me with a gentle smile, his single dimple making a slight appearance as those seafoam eyes pin me to the spot.

It felt nice, beyond nice, to casually talk to him again, to receive his smiles, to look into his eyes. Almost as if nothing had happened two years ago.

But something had happened.

And that fact makes me snap out of the trace and leads me to clumsily unbuckle my seatbelt, the abrupt act enough to make his smile drop and redraw the boundaries.

He walks out and opens the door for me to which I give him a nod of gratitude, no words are exchanged as we make our way into the office which is more of a construction site at the moment.

Alexanderson Enterprise is a multinational asset management company that was started by Adrian's great-grandfather, it had humble beginnings with steady but little progress but that seemed to be all Adrian's grandfather needed because when he took over he turned AE into the hegemonic empire it is today.