30 | ♛ | Luck

T H I R T Y

A.E.A

I PUSH HARDER ON the gas pedal.

I don't hear the blaring horns or angry curses people throw at me as I swerve from one lane to another, my mind repetitive with the echo of Chase's words.

"Did you hear Ard? Apparently you and I are engaged, I must say, I'm not opposed to the idea. Far from it actually, you could even say that I want people to think just that."

"Adrian wanted to have a little chat with me when he saw the news so I called him to Clarke Co-I hope you don't mind-we've been waiting for you, beautiful."

"Oh and you might want to hurry. I have this new toy I'm very eager to play with and Adrian seems to be the perfect test subject."

And that was when he'd cut the call.

He'd sounded like an entirely different person, gone was the sweet hardworker who had been my right hand, instead a malicious over-confident man had taken his place.

But that didn't worry me nearly as much as Adrian had-I could hear his muffled yells.

They had come from somewhere far but they were definitely there and they were also the very reason why I now hit the brakes of my favourite car forcefully, making the Bugatti stop with a vicious lurch.

Barely bothering about parking, I all but fall out of the car and into the elevator, violently pressing the glowing button. I run the rest of the way to my office, out of breath and in a disheveled state when I enter my office.

My ragged breath is stolen completely at the sight infront of me. 

My eyes immediately fly to Adrian's form, confined to a chair with his hands tied behind his back but even then he sits up straight, his jaw set in defiance. Ever the brave dark king.

Under the dim lights of the office, I can see his frenzied state and the darkened bags under his eyes yet my heart aches at the flash of fear that passes those mesmerising eyes when he sees me.

And while he may not care what happens to him, my heart pounds frantically at the mere thought of any possible harm coming to him. I make myself meet Chase's eyes and when I do, his face breaks into a wide grin.

"Hey, beautiful. Long time no see." He beckons me inside with a simple hand movement, I do as I'm told, stepping further into the room and trying not to run to Adrian's side.

Rather than doing that, I try my hand at reasoning "I'm here, now let Adrian go." the sentence makes him tilt his head, black dyed strands shifting along the movement, longer than the last time i'd seen him.

I can't help but notice all the changes in him. No longer wearing specs or those green tinted lenses, he carries himself with self assurance-too much of it and his lips are settled in a permanent smug smile.