29 | ♛ | There's No Place Like Home

T W E N T Y N I N E
there's no place like home

T W E N T Y   N I N Ethere's no place like home

A.E.A

A HALF ALARMED HALF nervous chuckle passes my lips.

Constantine Berkshire grins at me, putting on display the glinting, no-doubt real, gold grills that cover two of his canines "I didn't know you were trying to get a hold of me, Mr Berkshire."

His presence puts me on edge, I don't like the way his gaze runs over my form or how he's grinning at me "I wouldn't have expected you to, sweetheart." his wrinkle framed eyes find my hand "You're smart but no one is that smart."

The man's eyeing my engagement ring with a little too much glee, I keep my tone sharp yet polite enough, asking "What, exactly, are you trying to say Mr Berkshire?"

He raises his hands, one of them holding a fat unlit cigar "I meant no offence. And please, call me Constantine." when I don't reply, he continues "Tell me, did you not-even for a second-question why I hosted this celebration when my Forbes issue still has a week to come out?"

"To be honest, Mr Berkshire, no I hadn't bothered." making it a point not to go with his suggestion, I raise an unimpressed brow at him.

I'm well aware of the fact that I'm willingly robbing my company of a massive opportunity-one that promises success of the greatest heights-but I indeed cannot be bothered. This man has a slimy aura about him.

A hearty chuckle is what my statement earns.

"Fiesty girl, I can see why one wasn't enough." he winks, bringing a lighter close to his lips and igniting the cigar while I just stand there dumbfounded.

I'm about to demand that he stop talking in riddles and get to the damn point but the old man seems to have a fondness for them "What about why you were called all the way to California for a useless excuse of a conference?"

I go still, eyes narrowing in clear accusation "How do you know about the proceedings of that conference? That is confidential information." now that I'm visibly eager for answers, Berkshire feigns boredom. Exhaling a puff of smoke excruciatingly slowly, right in my face.

"For a second there, with the flight delay, I was worried my plan wouldn't have worked out but like everything I do, it had flawless results." I grind my molars together, so hard I can all but feel my dentist pulling out his hair.

"What are you suggesting? I'm not sure I have the patience for games." I wave around a glitter manicured hand to disperse the vile smelling smoke.

"Patience is a virtue, sweet Arden." hating the sound of my name on his lips, I resist the urge to harm Berkshire by accepting a flute of champagne from a passing server, drawling in my husband's favourite tone "A virtue I do not seem to possess."