14 | of dates

When I wake up the next morning, it is due to the blinding headache but other than that, it is because the thing keeping me warm all night is no longer near me.

I blink like a mad dog when I find myself alone in bed. There is a water bottle placed on the floor near the bed, along with a bunch of Aspirin pills. I groan and take a glance at the clock on the wall which shows it is about to tick 9 am.

I am late for class.

I jump off the bed and swallow a pill in an instant before sitting down again. I can't believe Carter left for school without waking me up. He didn't seem to be this selfish when he was hovering on top of me last night.

I want to curse him but his words from last night about his mother bring back sympathy instead. My phone rings, pulling me out of my thoughts. The light of the screen hurts my eyes so I squint them until the text is clear. Carter's name pops up on the screen and I open the text that he has sent.

Carter: Thanks for the headache. Take the bus today. I hope you know the stop by now.

I can picture his face when reading it. His fumbling hands typing them as he burns in the same pain as me. His hair is tousled as they fall over his eyes when he looks down; the locks are something you can't help running your hands through. His groan of relief when he finally finishes typing the text and sends it to me. I feel the blush on my cheeks as I realize that any rational human would mark this text as rude. Any rational human.

But not me

I have always been addicted to bad things, even though I never walked the same path. Mom says crushes are bad things which means my stupid crush on Carter Bell is one too. It doesn't make much of a difference though. Carter and I come from different walks of life. We will never match. But in my dreams...we do.

I recall Carter's words from last night — I dream of kissing you.

I do too, Carter. I do too.

***

"Someday I'm gonna sue Mrs. Dolores for long lectures," I swear as I stack the books inside my locker before shutting it close.

A squeal leaves me when I turn around.

Carter is leaning against the locker next to mine, scrolling through his phone leisurely. He is wearing a white shirt and black trousers and looking perfect as always. Unlike me, he doesn't seem to be suffering from a heavy head. I clutch my books to my chest as I wait for him to speak.

"I was just added to the 'Cherry Mariana FanClub' on WhatsApp," he says, looking at me as he shoves his phone back into his pocket.

I swallow a gulp, knowing what's to come next.

"And?" I ask innocently.

"And I was wondering why that might be the case?"

He folds his arms over his chest, crossing his feet as he gives me a doubtful look which makes me wish the earth could just swallow me right now.

"It's an unofficial group for everyone in our batch. I thought it'll be useful for you. Cherry has valuable information which she shares there," I say, defending my grave mistake, suddenly conscious of how stupid it was to add him there.

"You mean important information like who's shoving whose tongue in whose throat," he comments. "Cause that's the only news I got after I was added."

"No," I say with another gasp but then look at him for a moment trying to recall what was the last thing I got in the group other than an invitation.

Carter waits patiently for me to continue but he has no idea how important gossips are to me nowadays. I am anxious all the time thinking that someday the subject matter will be me staying at Carter's house.